New FZ6R, recommended mods?

Odinra

Hey there, I have been riding since June of last year, and my wife just got her license and purchased a 2011 FZ6R. On my bike I have 0 modifications, because I like it how it is (for the most part). However, I know that at a bare minimum I need to add sliders to her bike, in case of tip-over.

I am rather large person, at 6'2" and she is rather small at 5'4", so I would like to know what recommended modifications for someone of her (smaller) size. (Also, I really liked riding hers, and any reason I can make up to ride it would be cool as well;))

SurfJunkie

1. Check that the rear shock isnt too stiff for her weight.
2. Maybe rock the bars forward/rear depending on what she finds comfortable.
3. Maybe adjust the shift lever up. When i got mine i basically had to point my feet at the ground to shift. Not exactly possible with a boot on.
4. Deff go for some sliders/spools front and rear.
5. swap the levers out for some full adjustables which also bend in the middle. In the event she goes down, the levers have a joint which will let them pivot up rather than break off or bend.
6. GEAR. Buy some decent stuff the first time around or you end up buying it again. Id rather wreck some textiles/leathers than my skin. Im sure you feel the same way about your wife's skin :)

Odinra

So after riding for a coupe days e have decided tho get the lowering kit for it. she says the shifter and break levers are fine for now, but its one of the first things we will get.

There seems to be something wrong with the handlebars though, when we drive the bike home the handlebars seemed to be fine and fairly straight I guess.however, it seems that after a short drive they have fallen forward, for example when you go to lock the column it is so far forward that the horn hits against the tank and it honks. Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it?

Also semi related, but the manual says something about there being 2 different positions fore the handle bars, but all it says is to contact your dealer to change positions. has anyone donethis, and can they less me to somewhere that show a how?

monstermike4343

Elite Member

cjsFZ6R

you could do a atv or motocross handle bar set up for under 70 and that will make it look and feel more unique.
I saw that you have the ATV bars, what is the reasoning? just becasue it looks different or is there some benifit for it? I hate the stock bars and my arms are very long so i feel like i'm keeping them bent more than i would like to so i can get a little lower to the tank i'm thinking clip ons but not 100% sure as of now..

Nillard

Maybe lower it a bit and put the sliders on it for sure. Make her as comfortable on the bike as possible, and she'll have a much better time on the bike (Less chance of crashing also)

stevet

Surf junkie is totally right! First buy her all the protective gear she needs. None of the superficial bike add ons will be important at all if she has an accident. Any of us that have had an injury can attest that pain, suffering and bodily harm should be avoided in every way available to us. A bike safety class would be a stellar thing to take. As for me the only mods I make to my bike are safety related. Installing aftermarket parts on your bike doesn't necessarily make it better.

FJRGuy

Installing aftermarket parts on your bike doesn't necessarily make it better.
But more often than not, they do! Better looking, better sounding, better visability, better safety, better performance, etc... Sometimes these are in the eyes of the owner, but generally speaking nobody tries to make their bike worse!

Proper Gear and Training should be a no brainer, but the OP didn't ask about that.

What Mods should be done to a bike are really dependent on the purpose for the bike as well as the owners personality and riding style.
Frame sliders are a must have on any bike. I've been riding for more than 3 decades and still put these on every bike I own.
For shorter riders (that likely wont be pushing the performance envelope of the bike) lowering links MAY be a good investment if it makes the rider more comfortable.
Safety mods like additional lights, louder horn, etc... are never a bad idea.
I'm a LD rider so I look at a lot of comfort mods like heated grips. custom seats, handlebar risers. etc... for my bikes.
Once the GF becomes a confident rider, I'll have to look at performance mods for the FZ6R (or a different bike) cuz she's a bit of a dog IMHO.

Bottom line is that mods are a personal thing. Make sure the rider is comfortable and you are good to go!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member