New Exhaust Ordered for the 11

Hellgate

Well push came to shove in the PC3 legacy for my 1125...

AF1 Racing was working on some preliminaries prior to beginning the dyno tuning and well we couldn't do one key thing...shove a probe up the exhaust.

The stock muffler is not only very heavy and super ugly, but it is a Hemholz design, which is good as it works well making a nice flat torque curve...errr...plane. The muffler uses a set of chambers to resonate the pressure waves and in turn the probe can't go in. To counter this AF1 would have to make custom bungs for the O2 sensor holes and then drill, tap and make probes. Next problem the exhaust is about 1500 degrees to an insulation kit would have to be fabricated. Ugh...what to do??? :confused:

Fred and I are planning to build an exhaust but we are moving at a sub-snails pace.

So I checked my PayPal account, long forgotten, and low and behold, I had $400 in my account! Solution found! Order up a Jardine exhaust in aluminum. $400 shipped to my door. :D This solves the whole probe up the exhaust problem for the same cost of the custom fabrication, that and it looks much better and drops about 20 lbs! Mild vs. Alu and SS.

No Fred the project is not off.

View attachment 18238

Attachments

F

FZ1inNH

They make some really nice looking cans!

I wish I'd taken your advice about the Akrapovic for the FZ1. I do love the Two Bros but it really is louder than I wanted. I'm going to make a db killer for it, maybe two with two different sized holes (like the P1 and P4 tips) and see if I get good results.

Hellgate

They make some really nice looking cans!

I wish I'd taken your advice about the Akrapovic for the FZ1. I do love the Two Bros but it really is louder than I wanted. I'm going to make a db killer for it, maybe two with two different sized holes (like the P1 and P4 tips) and see if I get good results.
I think overall Akras are the best systems out there. The engineering, design and craftsmanship are first rate. I wish they made one for my bike.

The Jardine looks nice but I'm concerned about the loudness. Oddly this muffler is the same one that they use on dirt bikes and they sell a spark arrester for it that drop the sound by 6 dbs, only $30.00.

K

kellybt1052

Nice new can, when you gonna haul that up to dallas to run around Cresson or Eagles Canyon?? Looks great, hope the tuning and PC work out. BTW, headin to the Eagles Canyon on 7/3 for track day number 4. It is VERY addictive, I am thinking about a track only bike now keeping my FZ for the commute.

O

Ozfazer6

Really changes the look of the bike don't it .

Nice price too :thumbup:

Hellgate

Nice new can, when you gonna haul that up to dallas to run around Cresson or Eagles Canyon?? Looks great, hope the tuning and PC work out. BTW, headin to the Eagles Canyon on 7/3 for track day number 4. It is VERY addictive, I am thinking about a track only bike now keeping my FZ for the commute.
Which organization is hosting?

K

kellybt1052

Ride Smart is hosting this one, they took it over when another group had to drop the days.

Hellgate

Well I received the exhaust last Thursday and ran it down to AF1 Racing. Big difference! The stocker weighs 19.9 lbs, the Jardine is 5.0 lbs! We weighed the bike stock and wet, came in at 455 lbs, so 440 lbs with the Jardine isn't bad at all. :thumbup:

Overall the Jardine looks like a good system that will work for now. The muffler is a decent size and does a good job of keeping the sound reasonable. I'll need to ride it to determine if I'll need the spark-arrester kit.

We got the baseline dyno runs completed (no numbers yet) but found the entire fuel map to be very rich. This surprised us as there is, what we thought to be, a lean throttle surge within the O2 sensor zone. I have a program to adjust the timing and fuel delivery in addition to the Power Commander. I suspect the key will be getting the timing correct and then adjust the fuel. Hopefully by the end of the week the project will be complete, stay tuned.

While I was there I got to look at the "innards" of both Akrapovic and Leo Vince exhaust systems for the big Aprilia. The craftsmanship and design of both systems are simply breath taking. The welds are perfect and the tapers and shaping of the exhaust tubes are mind boggling. Both companies use a 2 degree taper as the pipe leaves the exhaust port. Its an amazing 3D puzzle that they had to solve to make everything work correctly. Makes the Jardine look like child's play.