New car in our future

CDN6R

I think it may be time to replace my 1993 V6 Camry. It has over 230 KMS and works like a top but it is starting to have some body rust issues. With the AC not working or the Sunroof to replace the right front fender and repair the rust bubbles over both rear wheels I am looking at $1400. So we are looking at the following vehicles..not in any special order.
Chevy Cruze 1.4 Litre Turbo(138 HP)
Ford Focus 2.0 Litre(160 HP)
Ford Fiesta 1.6 Litre(120 HP)
Honda Civic 1.8 Litre (140 HP)

Any of you guys have any of these cars? (2012 models) and how do you like them?? Any issues??

Thanks for any help... Laurie

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CDN6R

I would love to get a manual,,,but my wife is nervous about driving one. I tell her that with practice she would be fine but I dont think she will buy that.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

yfz6r

You had a car for almost 20 years with no problems and want something else?

Buy another camry! They are still great cars. My father in law just bought a new one after hail totalled his old one. The gauges and head unit are stunning! Very nice car

CDN6R

You had a car for almost 20 years with no problems and want something else?

Buy another camry! They are still great cars. My father in law just bought a new one after hail totalled his old one. The gauges and head unit are stunning! Very nice car
Not at all my friend.. I have had it 10 years and spend lots of money on repairs. Infact some parts I could only get from Toyota because no one else makes them,,,and I do not mean off the wall parts. Rear steel backing plates for my car (V6..4 wheel disk brakes) only Toyota made them,,over $425.00 EACH. My God all they are is stamped steel pieces with 2 pins to hold the emergency brake shoes. The list goes on and on.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BoneJj

I see a whole lot of not enough horse power....

lol

Personally I don't care for anything that has less than 250hp but that focus isn't too bad.

CDN6R

I see a whole lot of not enough horse power....

lol

Personally I don't care for anything that has less than 250hp but that focus isn't too bad.
I could not agree more but than 30 years ago a 4.2 Litre Ford V8 used in the 1981 Mustang had only 110 HP. Engines have come a long way in power and gas milage. Infact the engines listed above have as much H.P. as the 305 Chevy V8.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

l1tech

I've been looking at replacing the wife's car too. Of all the cars in that class - Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Focus, Cruze, Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, Mazda 3 and a coulpe others that round out the top 9 cars in the class, Corolla ranks at the bottom of the list and the Hyundai is at the top. Best warranty, excellent fit and finish. Fully optioned with leather, nav, sunroof, etc. Can be had for $24k , not bad. They are the quietest and most comfortable IMO.

BoneJj

Then you wouldn't like my Prius or my room mates smart car.
smart cars make me want to vomit. The most hideous car ever made for compact cars and to make it worse many other cars get much better mileage than it does. Talk about a failure at everything they tried to do with that car.

The prius I can at least respect but it is pretty damn slow. I like the volt more than the prius though.

I use to like the gti's until I found out that they mount a speaker under the hood to play prerecorded engine sound tracks instead of letting you hear the actually engine...
I did some quick research...It seems that this "speaker" seems to be on the 2011+ years. Some previous years used a resonator pipe to enhance natural engine sound. The "speaker" is what vw calls a Soundaktor. It is similar to a speaker but instead of vibrating air to produce sound, it seems to be a bit more robust and vibrates the metal frame to simulate engine noises. Indeed it is pretty lame. Good news is it is easily disconnected. Seems other car companies are doing similar things. BMW m5, Ford mustang, Porsche 911

Original article.
Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

Various youtube videos:
gti Soundaktor - YouTube

applejax

smart cars make me want to vomit. The most hideous car ever made for compact cars and to make it worse many other cars get much better mileage than it does. Talk about a failure at everything they tried to do with that car.

The prius I can at least respect but it is pretty damn slow. I like the volt more than the prius though.
Its funny cause we are both ~mid 20 guys and have small // eco cars.

We had new neighbors move in last winter and they were so puzzled by our car choices. Once spring came around and our bikes were rolled out of THR garage (he drives a 600f4i) they understood.

I don't really like his smart, it's a lil small for me but he does get a good amount of miles out of a tank. Prius is getting an average of 55mpg.

vkamnev

Mazda 2/3/cx-5, I have 2009 - 3 and love it. In three and a half years no issues. Starts even after spending whole night out at -40.

Just look on these for Japanese made (J in VIN) as I have no trust to what's now made in Mexico.

Civic is good, too, but expect minor problems with it.