New bike leaking radiator fluid.....?

porky45

Also, what is everyones normal operating temps you all have been getting. Obviously the temps are going to range on the riding conditions but just an overal idea of what kind of temps everyone is looking at. Is it unheard of, of seeing the temp above 212? I think I have gotten it up to around 215 or so. The manual says you can go up to 240! Does that number seem high?
Sorry to hear about your bike and the mishaps... I know you'll be as proud of it as the rest of us once it's up and running.

As far as running temps. In 90 degree weather riding for 2 hours straight, the hottest my bike ever got to was 229. Normal running temp is about 212 at idle and right around 200 while riding. The manual says you can go up to 240 without having to worry about anything. I don't think any of us here have seen 240 yet.

Last edited:

mchury

yea i have been up around the 225 mark while riding in town and sitting at stop lights. My temp, regardless if it is 70 or 90 outside, is usually around the 180-190 mark while riding on the highway.

bmw675

yea i have been up around the 225 mark while riding in town and sitting at stop lights. My temp, regardless if it is 70 or 90 outside, is usually around the 180-190 mark while riding on the highway.
+1, 100% :thumbup:

Newmason

Shop called this morning and said out for 3-5 days. They have to order all new parts for the water pump side. Gaskets, o-rings, seals, clamp, bearing and so on! They are just going to replace the entire pump assembly there in the side and see if it stops leaking. Hope they are right! One more trip to the shop for a leaking new bike and we are looking at the lemon law! Hope this doesnt happen!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Newmason

Yup keeping all the records for later. But they ordered all the parts so that when they do start to take it apart then they will just have the parts there. They arnt going to replace stuff if it isnt necessary. I just sure as hell hope this is the end of this coolant issue after this! Yup everything is warrentied. Just bought the bike last tuesday, and it is a big PIA for me!

pyrocpu

Also document the number of days your bike is in the shop, and not ride-able. Depending on state laws, that can also be a component in lemon law considerations.

Newmason

Just to give everyone an idea of where to look on there own bikes of where I found my leak is circled in the picture. Obviously its just under where the circle is and has dripped out onto that black metal bar. Sorry this is the best picture I could find and couldnt take one of my bike as its at the shop:mad:

deeptekkie

Remain calm. I know it's hard not to worry about every little thing on a brand new bike, but we're talking about two drops of coolant, right? Heck, I had a Triumph that leaked a quart of oil every night (OK, I made that up. But you get my drift.) It's almost certainly overflow or a loose clamp.
LOL: Now this was funny I don't care who you are. Thanks for the laugh.
You are right though, it is probably nothing. Whatever it is, it is their problem and not the owner's. Get it checked and enjoy!

Newmason

Well I got a call from the dealership today to come pick the bike back up. The parts came in today and they had it all back together. They replaced all the seals a spring and bearing in the water pump. Rode the bike back home parked her in the garage and guess what!!!!! NO LEAK! WHOOOOOP!!! I can finally put that behind me now. Not sure why the seals would have gone bad, other than that the bike had been sitting on the showroom for over a year now. But all is fine now. For everyone else though, make sure you check your water pump cover isnt leaking just as a heads up:D

FitZ6R

Is it unheard of, of seeing the temp above 212? I think I have gotten it up to around 215 or so. The manual says you can go up to 240!
Not at all unheard of. Coolant mix has a higher boiling point than water, even more so in a (non-leaking :p ) pressurized system.

I got my bike late last summer, so I haven't done any hot weather riding yet. I've been surprised to see the temp run as low as 170 F on chilly nights - that's not much more than hot tap water!

jfont

It looks like I have this exact problem. Looking back on it, my first suspicion was when I bought the bike there was blue crust right there(can't see the pic cause the thread is so old lol). I've had a slow leak and recently it's gotten worse now that I do 2ish hour one way commutes. I guess I will be swinging by the dealership. Luckily I have the extended warranty.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Just replace the crush washer & should be fine.
Note: you will have to drop the coolant to remove the bolt. So be prepared with a 2 litre container to catch the coolant.
As coolant is slippery as F@&% for a very long time

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

jfont

Did seem to solve the problem