New bike. But in love with the Fz6r, again.

locwan

**Caution, lengthy and slightly corny thoughts on my Fz6r below.**

So.. having ridden the Fz6r for a couple of years, I decided it was time to get another bike.

I went on a Ducati demo ride and tested the Monster 796, followed by the Monster 1100 evo. Both bikes felt fantastic; incredibly light and nimble, with a throaty exhaust without being overly loud.

I ended up with a Monster 1100 evo. Other than the extra grunt, I liked the fact that it also had fully adjustable suspension bits, as well as ABS and traction control to keep me out of trouble.

Since getting the bike last month, the odometer has clocked about 2500km on it. I've been having a lot of fun on this new bike.........

....I've also neglected my beloved Fz6r. It was this bike that got me in love with motorcycling.

I got back on the bike today, and though I was going to take it for short spin. The short spin turned into a long ride, and after the long ride I wanted to spend the entire afternoon washing and waxing the bike.

As I rode on the Fz6r, I thought to myself, "I love this bike!" Everything about it was so smooth, so easy, so forgiving. It's like coming back to an old friend that forgives my short comings and flatters my strength.

I love this bike, again..

Attachments

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Love ur duc man give us a review on it :) and ur story was great thank u

locwan

Review of M1100 evo

The Ducati Monster is, without any doubt the most beautiful naked bike I have ever laid my eyes on.

I'll come clean and admit right now that I had bought the bike because of how it looks. There are better performing naked bikes out there for the same price; like the base version speed triple, the street triple R, and even Ducati's own Streetfigter 848 to name a few. I've looked at them all, and settled with the Monster in the end, because the Monster is just so gorgeous. It's a bike that I keep turning my head back to stare at it as I walk away after a ride.

Just because I bought it for the looks, doesn't mean the Monster is a slouch though. It's also rides beautifully. It's incredibly nimble; the bike corners like it's reading my mind. I think it, and it's already leaned over going through the corners like it's on rails. I Spent an afternoon scouring the internet for suspension setup tips for the streets, and after dialing it in, it's better than ever.

Engine wise, it really is something else. It's a big displacement L-twin, with big thumping power pulses that's a little bit lumpy when doing below 50km/h, exacerbated by the rather tall gearing. But it comes alive and induces big grins when the engine is kept at above 4k rpm, and the throaty exhaust is roaring its manly tunes. Apparently the tall gearing helped Ducati clear certain emission and noise level tests. There is definitely more clutch slipping necessary to get going smoothly because of this, given the bike's hefty 76 ft/lb of torque from a rather flat torque curve. It doesn't take very long to get use to this though, and the clutch pull for the revised wet slipper clutch isn't overly heavy either.

Everything does shake a lot and vibrations are plentiful on the bike, but at the same time it adds to the character of the bike that lets me know I'm on something a bit special. That being said, doing long rides on this Monster does cause more fatigue from the vibrations and wind blast to the head, causing tired neck muscles. The forward lean on the bike along with the wind pushing on my chest actually meant that I've never had a sore lower back riding this bike.

The bike is tolerable on long straight roads, but everything about it just works better on the winding roads.

Attachments

Bert-Aus

Do the image names read correct? ... you named it Hagrid?

Detrich

Tnx for sharing... Love the monster and miss my 6R too... We all fall for looks I think, initially. lol But, in the process we discover things that we love & hate about each bike. No bike is perfect & the ones that come close cost way too much... lol. So it's balancing bang for the buck, imo... I remember hating how the R6 felt when I first sat on it. But, I grew to love its light weight and nimble cornering... It kicks my ass and is constantly motivating me to want to improve without being too ferocious. I also like that it's easy to push around when parking. lol.

locwan

Do the image names read correct? ... you named it Hagrid?
Nah. Hagrid was just the image overlay's name.

Tnx for sharing... Love the monster and miss my 6R too... We all fall for looks I think, initially. lol But, in the process we discover things that we love & hate about each bike. No bike is perfect & the ones that come close cost way too much... lol. So it's balancing bang for the buck, imo... I remember hating how the R6 felt when I first sat on it. But, I grew to love its light weight and nimble cornering... It kicks my ass and is constantly motivating me to want to improve without being too ferocious. I also like that it's easy to push around when parking. lol.

That's it. Every bike is fun in it's own way. The perfect bike for me may just be a bike that fits my mood on most days. :p

6R Blackout

The Duc is a bad ass bike but gotta love the good old 6R:)