Neutral safety switch problems

dthomp87

it's not working. Thinks the bike is always in gear.

one thing I noticed when the bike is first turned on, and the gauge light all flash on at the beginning, the neutral light doesn't even come on then.

Any advice? All the wires look fine as far as I can trace it. Is there a way to test the nss? are there any relays that could be causing this?

Thanks

ChUcK

I did as much research as the Service Manual would allow, and it looks like you need a multimeter to check the switch continuity. If you can locate the neutral switch (sky blue wire) and know your way around an ohmmeter, that should give you an indication of the health of the switch. FSM says to use the resistance x1 setting.

If I had to take a random guess, I'd say the switch is bad if the Neutral light doesn't come on during the start-up checks.

Last edited:

jokerX

I just went out and checked, my neutral light does not come on with the gauge sweep either, unless it is in neutral. I do not have access to wiring diagrams, but you should be able to use a fused jumper to bypass the NSS (with the switch disconnected) to see if it turns the light on, and that will "prove" that the electrical circuit is good.

dthomp87

Thanks for the tips guys I jumped the wire and the circuit works fine. must be the switch hopefully not something in the tranny. Ordering a new switch now.