Need US riders help please !! :P

katai

Hi all ,

I have been trying to get a new helmet from US delivered to Uruguay . Riding gear gets really expensive here due to taxes and a simple 200 USD helmet can get up to 500 down here .

I have searched on laws and customs will allow me to bring up to USD 150 in items ( it will not hurt me paying just a little more ) .

I really like Icon and Shark helmets ( non of these brands are imported to here )

I am deciding between the Icon Alliance Dark Helmet and the Shark S 700 .

Can someone give me a heads up on which one I should choose ? Any riders that use these brands ? :confused:

Thanks guys

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

im kind of the opinion that as long as its DOT and ECE certified its a lot of money some helmets just for the name brand. I love bluetooth, I bought a Torc with built in bluetooth for like $120 bucks and i love it. Not as good as a Sena headset of course but then again those are 300 on top of the helmet price and you have to have a big thingy on the side of your helmet.

J

JohnnyWatts

Having owned a series of helmets from janky HJCs, to RaceQuip and now Scorpion helmets, I can testify that the price isn't in how safe the helmet is (they're all DOT/ECE/Snell certified anyway), but how comfortable it is.

My current helmet (Scorpion EXO-500) is extremely comfortable. Feels like a glove for my head. Compared to my first helmet, a Wine Red HJC helmet found for the lowest price I could, that felt like wearing a pot or saucepan on my head.

Also, the more expensive helmets also have more/better airflow features, so you're not sweating away too much in there.

katai

Thanks for the response guys , I finally ordered the Icon helmet . Will still want a carbon helmet which I will buy in one of my journeys to the US . I hate my country being so expensive . They asked me 550 USD for a helmet that goes 225 there .

eNigma17

Good luck on the ICON helmet!

Just my opinion, ICON has been out since 2002 and manufacturer a broad spectrum of gears from jackets to helmet, etc.

Shark on the other hand have been in the industry since 1986 and only specializes in helmets. Most, if not all, of their helmets are ECE and DOT approved.

I think you know which one I'd opt for.

One thing for sure, I bought a modular helmet from Bell last year and thought it was great, until I bought my Schuberth. Night and day difference...! :jawdrop:

Then again, two totally different price points. $250 for Bell and $700+ for Schuberth. That "extra money" that you're paying for goes a long way since you'll be wearing every time you ride. Not only it's ECE and DOT approved but quality is superb and it's so damn quiet in my helmet it's like riding in a car. :eek:

Glad you finally made a purchase, let us know how it goes! :thumbup: