Need to sell, never done it before, Help?

Osoreru

It's been quite a while since I've posted on this forum, and I hope I'm not violating any rules, but I'm in a rough spot and this is the first place I thought to come for help. I've got a 2011 "burnt orange" FZ6R in great condition with ~5k-6k miles, and I'm in a financial downfall. Has anybody sold a bike before that can offer me any advice?

Nmexico

Return it all back to stock if you can. Do not put in power commander, tuned by dealer to get extra 10hp etc in the ad. Most buyers do not want a bike that has been overly tuned in the engine. You know, don't mess with a good thing.
Now fender eliminator is ok with me though.:D

The FZ6R is a buyer's market bike. Sorry to say you win not get anywhere near top dollar selling this bike. Most buyers know that dealers are throwing themselves to sell it, most Yamaha dealers don't really want to stock more FZs than they have to.

If you can get 4500-4750 dollars for your bike I would call it a good deal.

lytehouse

Super Moderator
And post it on your local Craigslist. Yeah, I know, but I've sold both of my FZ's that way and had good luck with both sales. Post your price higher too as they will always try to talk you down a few hundred.

And you can always post your ad here too, just check the "for Sale rules"

Last edited:

Osoreru

Return it all back to stock if you can. Do not put in power commander, tuned by dealer to get extra 10hp etc in the ad. Most buyers do not want a bike that has been overly tuned in the engine. You know, don't mess with a good thing.
Now fender eliminator is ok with me though.:D

The FZ6R is a buyer's market bike. Sorry to say you win not get anywhere near top dollar selling this bike. Most buyers know that dealers are throwing themselves to sell it, most Yamaha dealers don't really want to stock more FZs than they have to.

If you can get 4500-4750 dollars for your bike I would call it a good deal.
It actually is still entirely stock, I haven't done any modding to it.I don't really expect to get top dollar for it, in reality I'm hoping for as close to 4000 as I can get. Thanks for the help.

djf18374

Cycle Trader is free, as is Craigslist. I just sold mine on Craigslist, and got a really good price for it too. The lady really wanted an FZ6R and paid my asking price ($4,300) on the spot. Granted it was in Mint condition with a ton of aftermarket stuff, but still a good price.

If you are desperate for cash, you'll probably end up on the low end (near trade in value) for the bike. If you can wait for the right buyer, you'll get top dollar.

Have the title in your name, ready to go, along with a bill of sale written up. Make sure the buyer gives you cash, or something in writing before a test drive. Only let them ride it if they have a motorcycle endorsement and their own gear. Those two things will save you a lot of headache and get rid of the joy riders and tire kickers.

Good luck!

yellolab

I've sold a couple bikes on craigslist, as well as a boat. On all three items, I said no to any test rides without a signed contract(bill of sale) with a deposit- meaning they WILL buy it contingent upon a test drive. If they balk at that, then they were not serious about it anyway, so let them walk away. Real buyers will absolutely understand- at least all mine did.