Need some advice/insight

Osoreru

Well fellas, I've fallen on some rather hard times. Not going to go into many details, but I may end up having to either sell or trade my bike to get a reliable cage. My current car is in rough shape, and I've got to replace it, but my job situation is probably not going to leave me with the money to afford my motorcycle payment and the car payment at once. There's a chance I may get a new career in the next few months, and if that happens, I'll be fine, but I've got to keep my options open at this point.

So my question is this: My bike is a 2011 6R, I've put about 2200 miles on it, it still has a 3 year dealer warranty/maintenance agreement (transferable to new owner, take the bike to the dealer, and all maintenance is already paid for) as well as factory warranty, and is in great condition of course. What can I reasonably expect to get for it from both outright selling it, and trading it in on a car?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

Osoreru

can you trade a bike for a car? i didnt think that was even possible.... any dealer.. "stealership" is going to rip you off.... you may be able to get mid 6's to high 5's with low milage and your warranty...but then again i could be wrong... check kelly blue book, they do bikes too :)

edit: for my zip your trade in would be close to 4k your sale would be 6k even...according to kbb

Yea, when I went looking for cars the other day, I was riding the bike because my car is in the shop still. The dealers offered to trade on the bike, but wouldn't give me an actual value. I know they'll do their best to rip me off, but I just wanted to get opinions on it from all the people here who know a lot more than I do.

Detrich

If u want to be financially up top, sell the bike privately. Then, use the money as a down payment on a car...

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Jago9

If you're in a financial bind, sell it yourself and get way more cash and use the cash as a down payment. Cash always has better leverage than a trade in. Also if you need to keep your payments low and don't drive a ton, you may want to look into leasing a vehicle. It's cheaper in the short term, as they don't require as much down and your payments are lower than an outright purchase. Just an option for right now.

Yaris!!! oh man my insurance company stuck me with one of those last month when my car was hit. By the time it hits highway speeds, I am already getting off on my exit.

Wow!! no words, but great on gas!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

roadrat

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Jago9

of course no one buys a Yaris for speed, they are very economical.
and in case you didn't know "I was just Messing with you Man!"

Osoreru

The company, I work for, was in need of a vehicle. I found a Honda Accord lease for $200/month. There was a sportier version coupe Accord for $240/month. You do have to watch how many miles you put on a lease vehicle and thoroughly read the lease to make sure you know what you are getting into, but in some cases a leased vehicle can "bridge" the gap in a vehicle dilemma.
This is why I'm leery of leasing. Most of the mileage limits I've come across are, in general, not going to work well for me. I put a lot of miles on a vehicle, and I'd be cutting it really close.

Thanks to everybody for the help. I really hope I don't have to get rid of this bike, but sometimes necessity dictates otherwise. Guess we'll know in a couple of months.

anson650

If you like the bike at all, keep it. You are going to lose a lot of money selling it unless you are one lucky guy. Unless your wife/ gf demands that you sell it, then I say KEEP IT. I just dumped a lot of money into an old car, but in the end it was NOT 60 car payments.
Anson

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

See red

I may sell my family car..... lol..... You may not want it though. I also require 11k to THINK about it.... ok..... that's over. LOL! I picked up a winter beater for 300 bucks, a villager, it has 180k on the odo. and runs like a horse on fire! ( that would be strong as hell) It is not always what you pay, but how and what you choose. I can promise this thing will go 275k. I will use it till then. Best of luck though.

Let me know if you want help finding a car.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Osoreru

If you like the bike at all, keep it. You are going to lose a lot of money selling it unless you are one lucky guy. Unless your wife/ gf demands that you sell it, then I say KEEP IT. I just dumped a lot of money into an old car, but in the end it was NOT 60 car payments.
Anson
I somewhat agree with this, but I've been having a lot of trouble getting my old car fixed. Which is odd, it's a '96 Accord, you would think it would be absolutely no trouble to get parts and such, but its been a nightmare. Also, the mechanics I've taken it to so far have done nothing but try to rip me off and do shoddy work. I really wish I could do all the work myself, but alas, no such luck.

I'm just getting sick of pouring money into this car, that's all. Unless any of you know of a mechanic in alabama who can get this thing back into actual good condition for me (for reasonable prices).

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Osoreru

i wish i would made it drive able sold it then bought a yaris back then!
This is exactly my plan. I'm getting the transmission and clutch replaced right now (for the third time in 4 years thanks to getting cheap as hell used transmissions). Then I'm going to sell it, and hopefully between selling the car and getting tax returns I'll have enough of a down payment without selling my bike.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member