Need help removing radiator

evanc

Hi All,

I ended up getting a rock thrown at me by a car in front that put a hole in the fins of my radiator and am currently leaking coolant.

I my attempt to remove the unit, I am having an issue. Everything is ready to come out but the top left (looking at bike from front) upper radiator mount is giving me issues.

The right side is simply a 10mm bolt but the left side appears to be some sort of pin? I haven't had success trying to pound it out and am drawing a bit of a blank.....

Has anyone removed their radiator or know how I remove this pin?

Thanks,
Evan.

Attachments

herbie

its not a real clear picture however it looks like you may simply have to to pry it out of a grommet after all other bolts are removed

ChUcK

Hmmm, looking at the service manual didn't give me any ideas. The only part it shows helping the radiator attach to the bike at this spot is some grommet-looking thing. Does the radiator pivot towards the front around this joint? It may have to rotate a certain amount before you can remove whatever is holding it in place.

evanc

This is one of the upper radiator mounts. There are 3 primary attachment points, 2 at the top and one at the bottom. The upper right and bottom are simply 10mm bolts. The left side looks like a pin, a large head pointing towards the right and a pin coming out the left side. Think of a flat headed mushroom (can't think of a better analogy). I have tried pounding it out but it doesn't move. This would be the same effect as trying to pry it out. I don't think it would matter what position the radiator is at to pry it out.

If someone has taken off a rad before or has could give me a picture of the part that holds it in there from a parts catalogue it would be helpful.....

Thanks,
Evan.

Deanohh

You don't remove the pin... you move (push/pull) the whole radiator over until the pin clears the grommet.

evanc

Excellent, that worked (after I pounded the pin enough to bend the mount :( One of the dumber designs I have seen....should have just used another 10mm bolt as its a real pain to pivot....

Deanohh

A radiator operates under pressure and heat and expansion cycles and vibration and will develop cracks due to fatigue if it is bolted down solid under any stress at all. Multiple mounting points can never be made perfect enough so with 2 bolting points, the third one with a pin can float and not put tension on any part of the radiator. Also if the bolts fell out or broke or came loose or someone forgot to tighten them, the radiator would not fall down because the pin is there.

The purpose of the design of things is not always obvious. There are many other parts on the bike that would be broken by someone trying to take it apart without knowing how do do it. Usually there is another method besides brute force.