Need help removing a mangled oil filter

codys21

Hello, everybody,

So today I was going to do an oil change myself. I've only had one other oil change while owning the bike and the dealer did it. I read numerous postings on this forum for tips and tricks and thought I was ready to go. I bought everything I needed and bought the oil filter wrench (from a Yamaha dealership) to remove the Yamaha filter that was on the bike. But then things got tricky when actually trying to remove the Yamaha filter.

First, I needed to put a crazy amount of pressure on the wrench to loosen the filter, but all it did was slip/strip. So I tried with a couple rubber bands in between the wrench and the filter. Didn't work. I tried with a grip pad in between the wrench and the filter. More slipping. Nothing was working the way it was suppose to so I tried the screwdriver method. Nothing but a couple holes in the filter.

So I went back to the dealership to explain my issue and they had never heard anything like that. The technicians use the same tool to remove the filters as I was using. The dealership said if I brought in my bike, they would get the filter off for me. Well that's not going to work since I already tried the screwdriver method. They then recommended locking pliers around the filter since it doesn't matter if it gets crushed.

So I went home and tried locking pliers. Completely crushed, mangled, and cut open the filter but still won't budge.

Now I have a destroyed filter that is completely destroyed and my filter still won't budge. Has anybody ever had an experience like this or does anyone know of any way of getting this off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cody

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

codys21

Do you think you can get a strap wrench or chain wrench on the mangled oil filter??

Going forward have you researched the KN-204 oil filter, it has a nut welded on the end for easy installation and removal...

Best of luck with the bike.
Yea, I've heard of the K&N filters. They will be a good idea from now on, but it's crazy that this one is one so hard since a Yamaha dealer did the oil change last time.

For the strap or chain wrench, I'm not sure I could. I know there isn't a whole lot of room in there so even if I could, I'm not sure I could turn it, but it's probably worth a shot.

Yea, I've heard of the K&N filters. They will be a good idea from now on, but it's crazy that this one is one so hard since a Yamaha dealer did the oil change last time.

For the strap or chain wrench, I'm not sure I could. I know there isn't a whole lot of room in there so even if I could, I'm not sure I could turn it, but it's probably worth a shot.
What I use at my job is a combination of a filter clamp and filter pliers depending on the location and clearances. I prefer the clamp but the pliers work flawlessly too. Also make sure you put a thin layer of motor oil (or silicone grease since I find it works better) on the Oring before you put on the new one and only hand tighten the filter as much as possible. You cant over tighten by hand while if you use a tool to install itll be like this to get off.

Heres a few pics of what I use. I recommend the 2 half circle clamp like this one and not the 3 finger one in the third image. Coworkers have the 3 finger one and always borrow mine :D

Avoid this one since it doesnt clamp down on the filter to prevent slippage as the other style

jon.sagrero7

Had SAME exact problem last week.

Hey man I know exactly what you're talking about with the filter wrench slipping when you think taking off the OEM filter. I was having the same issue and what j ended up doing was using a giant pair of pliers and almost crushing the filter until I could get a set of smaller pliers that weren't so sharp to really get a good grip on the filter without crushing it. The smaller set was able to clamp on since I crushed down the filter using the bigger pliers. I was able to turn the filter without it slipping as well since there was an indention into the filter itself so there's no way it could slip off. This should work man let me know

codys21

Hey man I know exactly what you're talking about with the filter wrench slipping when you think taking off the OEM filter. I was having the same issue and what j ended up doing was using a giant pair of pliers and almost crushing the filter until I could get a set of smaller pliers that weren't so sharp to really get a good grip on the filter without crushing it. The smaller set was able to clamp on since I crushed down the filter using the bigger pliers. I was able to turn the filter without it slipping as well since there was an indention into the filter itself so there's no way it could slip off. This should work man let me know
Thanks, man. That is actually the exact thought I had this morning but before I tried that I tried the big pliers again and it worked!

After having this issue did you use a K&N filter or not?

I've also attached a few pics of the filter after it's finally removed.

Attachments

derf1278

Same thing happened to me removing the stock oil filter. I soaked the base of the filter with some wd-40, then used the screwdriver method to finally get it off. Been using k&n filter ever since.

BluePill

For future reference: Using a chisel or a large screwdriver to engage the edge of the rolled seam at the bottom of the filter often works well as a last resort. Hold the tool at about a 30 degree angle and strike with a hammer. You want to dig slightly into the seam then continue tapping to turn the filter. Be very careful not to contact the aluminum engine case, as that could cause leakage.

Last edited:

junglecode

I almost tried the chisel but was afraid of it slipping and cracking the block.

I drilled 2 holes on the top of the filter near the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. I then shoved a pair of long-nose pliers into the holes and used a big wrench to twist the pliers and the filter off. I wish I started with that one.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

yellowfz

Or use an automotive type oil filter, the rubber gasket seals better and makes the filter easier to take off.
The small o-ring on the stock Yama are not as forgiving as the larger flat seal on a automotive oil filter.
I just use a filter I found at Walmart that works for both the FZ6R and my wife's Kawa 900 -- Purlator ML16817 (motorcycle) and L14610, Walmart's own ST7317 (only use in a pinch), O'Reily MGL51358

Last edited: