Need help identifying the problem

floki

That is the linkage and I believe it is one piece with the knuckle. You'll have to replace the whole thing

adamo3957

That is the linkage and I believe it is one piece with the knuckle. You'll have to replace the whole thing
All that's happened is the threaded rod has bent, replace with another and your good to go.

And OP check your chain tension and condition from now on.

You'll also need to pull the front sprocket cover and check to see all is well under there.

You really got out of this one lucky because at 60mph that chain travels faster than a chainsaw and can rip you leg to pieces.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

jammer

Not sure that his chain broke and let loose. He said it came off which if loose means it just came off one of the sprockets. He didn't clarify though so not sure if it broke or just became so loose it slipped off. Gonna clean my bike and clean and lube my chain/check tension tomorrow or Saturday. I don't always remember to check it every single ride, but I do check the chain tension pretty often. Need to keep a better eye on tire inflation though. I am bad about not checking if the tire doesn't look low.
^^ +1 on this

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

gerard0976

To clarify a little more I was on the interstate doing about 70 when I felt a sharp pain in my leg and burning on my foot. I pulled over as fast as I could. When I got off I noticed my chain guard was obliterated and the chain was no longer there. It hit the oil filter on its departure and hit other things as well. My whole bike including the back tire was covered in oil. Very fortunate I didn't go down. The rear seat lock is hanging on by a thread, and I figured that's what saved my leg. There's evidence all over the bike of other places it hit as well. Just glad I'm okay. Thanks for all the help.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

gerard0976

No damage to yourself though? What was the pain and burning from, oil spew? Glad you're okay and your bike seems to have come out of this relatively unscathed. Would have scared the bejesus out of me. Hopefully there's no damage to the sprockets although they're not super expensive. How many miles on your bike?
I had some cuts on my leg which I'm guessing are from the chain guard shooting up and hitting me and the burning in my foot was from the oil. Other than that though I was perfectly fine. Scared me to death though. I just went ahead and ordered a whole new set to be safe. Only 10,000 miles on the bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

gerard0976

Wonder if you had a bad link that caused it to fly off like that. 10, 000 isn't bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I wish I knew myself. I was in the far left lane near a barrier when it happened so I thought I might be able to find the chain but had no luck. She's long gone.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member