Need advice

findmadhav

Bike dropped

Hi everyone,

When I went yesterday to pay the advance, I noticed that the right indicator, right mirror had some scratches, the right passenger footpeg was a bit scratched too. Apart from that the right side lower fairing had a minor scuff on it. Looks like the guy had dropped the bike.

I was looking at quite some used bikes, but this is the best deal/condition of the bike am getting for 5K. Is it ok ? Coz looks like I would have to change the mirror and the right indicator. How much would it cost me.

The only reason am in for buying this bike is that it has 3 miles on it and rest of it looks good.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

AngryAnt

Precisely why I installed frame sliders before I left the dealer with mine. I'm not worried about scratches to the puck, I've got a couple scratches to my right side mirror that I'm gonna replace with the ebay $20 mirrors eventually, since I can't find cheap stock mirrors.

dndfindley

Hi guys,

I went and saw the bike. Its in new condition with just 3 miles on it. He bought the bike but never got time to ride it supposedly.
The guy has a loan with USAA bank and sent me the details. He has agreed to sell me the bike along with a new Shoei full face helmet for $5100.
The guy seemed fine to me and the bike is located in the garage where he lives.

We plan to sign a contract and get it notarized from a post office/bank tomorrow, following which I would be giving him a cheque in the name of loan account of the USAA bank. The bank should be sending him the title once the cheque is cleared. I will be speaking to the bank anyway and asked the guy to confirm how soon will the bank be sending the title.

Does this sound ok or am I missing something? Please let me know.
Where is the USAA bank located? The best method is for both of you to go to the bank as has been suggested in several previous posts. You pay the bank and the bank gives you the title while you're there. I have done this with a couple of cars. Works great. David

fz6r_zer0

Hi everyone,

When I went yesterday to pay the advance, I noticed that the right indicator, right mirror had some scratches, the right passenger footpeg was a bit scratched too. Apart from that the right side lower fairing had a minor scuff on it. Looks like the guy had dropped the bike.

I was looking at quite some used bikes, but this is the best deal/condition of the bike am getting for 5K. Is it ok ? Coz looks like I would have to change the mirror and the right indicator. How much would it cost me.

The only reason am in for buying this bike is that it has 3 miles on it and rest of it looks good.
It was probably a minor fall that freaked him out because he wasn't strong enough to hold on to a 500 pound bike... go figure. Anyways, if it's a truly minor scuff I've used Meguiar's ScratchX and it works great with some elbow grease and a coat of wax right after.

eBay has some cheap mirrors if you want OEM replacement. OEM is going to cost more (duh) but others have put other mirrors on (do a search). You can start modding early :) my mirror is scuffed up on the right but I keep it that way, just as a reminder. it doesn't look bad by any means, barely noticeable.

I would say 5K, you're already 80% through the process, just finish it. It's still a great bike with no miles on it as you said.

Plus if you are a mod whore like FZ6black or about-to-be me, all of that is negligible.

tobymax

minor scratch

Hi everyone,

QUOTE]

Well...i dropped mine the second day i had it. I was parking getting into work that early morning...i still remember that day!!! lol. I pulled in very slowly as I didnt want anything to happen to my beautiful new bike! then i see a little tiny pothole in the middle of the parking space. So, "obviously", i lock the breaks and sideways i go saying..."no, no, no, no"... if it had just occurred to me to place my feet on the ground, but oh well, it saved me from treating that bike better than my girlfriend...lol. So yeah...the mirror and the fairing have a very minor scratch but you wouldnt even see it if i hadnt said something. :D
You know what?! i think that because of that "incident" im able to enjoy my bike, which i take very good care of, instead of just having it parked in my living room :rolleyes:

tobymax

bill of sale.

oh and by the way, I work for a financial institution and fz6r_zer0 was correct on what/how to do the whole transaction.
For an electronic title they will just need to do a couple of extra things but it is really something that we do every day...so, if you go to the bank or credit union and they do not know about the bill of sale or what to do to help you buy/sale the vehicle when it has a lien just ask for an experienced loan officer.
Just remember that the whole debt has to be paid for the institution to release the title. Maybe the seller has to add to what you are paying for the vehicle to pay off the debt, or maybe the seller "moved" that debt to another loan....In any way, the lien has to be paid in full (satisfied) for the lien to be released. Here is a blank bill of sale
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82050.pdf
your state may differ but it may serve as a guide.
Some dmv's will take the notarized bill of sale and the "release" letter (institution's letterhead stating that the lien is being released) and allow you to request a temp tag.

oldtouring b

a minor point.

The seller did not mention the drop. He should have been honest with you. When you first looked at the bike did you just miss the scratches? Or did it happen after you looked? When sellers are not completely honest with me, I either walk or reduce my offer. I think a $200 reduction will cover your expenses. Good luck..

FJRGuy

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was kinda thinking through something along the same lines. I expect that it all worked out well for you or I hope we would have heard about it here.
I have only two comments for others in this situation:
- whenever possible, make payment directly to the lending institution for the outstanding balance of the loan
- and there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to take physical possession of the bike while waiting on title.