national donut day

latony007

like the nation is not fat enough lets have a national Donut day? Who the hell came up with that? How about a national celery day? :D

Fizzer6R

good thing to share with a nice friendly cop if you get stopped today, they might let you go... :cool:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

chrisnlb

Celery gets a whole month (March - here).

Today is also the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

On June 6, 1944, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which, “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the Allies gained a foot-hold in Continental Europe. The cost in lives on D-Day was high. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded, but their sacrifice allowed more than 100,000 Soldiers to begin the slow, hard slog across Europe, to defeat Adolf Hitler’s crack troops.​
Heres some interesting info on donut day-
Why Do We Celebrate National Donut Day? « CBS St. Louis

National Donut Day was started by The Salvation Army in 1938 as a way to raise funds and awareness about its social service programs.
The idea began on the battlefields of France and Germany during World War 1, when Salvation Army volunteers (dubbed “Doughnut Lassies” and “Doughnut Girls”) served coffee and donuts to soldiers in the trenches. The Salvation Army says it was about more than just filling an empty stomach—the donuts provided the soldiers with the boost their spirits needed during an extraordinarily difficult time.

And today, on the 70th anniversary of the Allied Forces’ D-Day invasion of Normandy, the tradition continues.

Last edited:

jammer

good thing to share with a nice friendly cop if you get stopped today, they might let you go... :cool:
Kinda falls in with the old joke.
Cop "Your Eyes are red have you been smoking pot?"

Biker "Your eyes look glazed, have you been eatin donuts?"

:D

latony007

Celery gets a whole month (March - here).

Today is also the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

On June 6, 1944, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which, “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the Allies gained a foot-hold in Continental Europe. The cost in lives on D-Day was high. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded, but their sacrifice allowed more than 100,000 Soldiers to begin the slow, hard slog across Europe, to defeat Adolf Hitler’s crack troops.​

Nice Milton, that is a day worth remembering when Americans, Brits and Canadians marched to save the collective asses of Europe.

Kinda falls in with the old joke.
Cop "Your Eyes are red have you been smoking pot?"

Biker "Your eyes look glazed, have you been eatin donuts?"

:D
im stealing that one :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

....There will never be another generation like that.
Lets hope that is never required again.

Awesome stuff Scott, thanks for sharing.
My Poppa (mother's father) fought in WW2 as a gunner in a flying boat over New Guinea & Phillipines.
Family believes he suffered from PTSD as he barely spoke to anyone with more than a few words.
My earliest memories are of him & the moment my mother got the call that he had died is also a vivid one. I was only 3 then but atleast I was able to meet my big friendly giant of a grandfather.

Enjoy the free donuts stateside!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2