My R6 header setup

sldwys87

Well i finally decided to get exhaust for my bike. I used 03-05 header and a yoshimura trs slip-on. Its loud and sounds really good.... The whole process was rather easy, except i had to use a fab shop to bend my header(i don't have a torch) other than that it went smoothly.

Cost

slip on- 283
header- 40
fab shop- 20
bolts,piece of steel from lowes-12

Total= 355, plus i still need a pcv and a dyno, which will be coming in the next few weeks, so maybe under a 1000, which is alot cheaper than tbr or m4.

I will get pics and video up this weekend>

Last edited:

Newmason

:needpics::

cavcuz05

honestly the PCV with dyno should only cost 500 (thats what mine was) My bike sounds great after i did the dyno...slowly getting the old fall fuel with stabilizer out seeing as i stored it for winter

cavcuz05

i put down 83.2 "Wheel" HP VS the 78 HP at the crank (stock)..i had the print out but i moved so i need to look for it so i would say i got about that 8-10 gain

sldwys87

Here's a pic from my phone. It's sounds so damn good. I would of like to of been able to angle the exhaust more but how everything was mad couldnt.

MikeN02

It rests low, good enough if you're carrying a passenger.

I was thinking about going this way but I'm concerned about what it might do the bike in the long end.

I've read through all the threads so basically what I need is:
R6 Headers year 03 - 05
Bend the headers a little so it won't hit the oil pan.
PCV. Dyno tune or AutoTune
Slip On

Now, since I don't want the pipe to be that long. I just have to cut down the mid pipe correct? I can just go at it with a chainsaw etc and it'll be ok?

Also I'm going to get rid of my passenger pegs and possibly mount it on there.

But these are all just ideas, the main thing I'll have trouble with is the Tuning. I don't know a place that does Dyno tune and I'm clueless on how to AutoTune.

sldwys87

It rests low, good enough if you're carrying a passenger.

I was thinking about going this way but I'm concerned about what it might do the bike in the long end.

I've read through all the threads so basically what I need is:
R6 Headers year 03 - 05
Bend the headers a little so it won't hit the oil pan.
PCV. Dyno tune or AutoTune
Slip On

Now, since I don't want the pipe to be that long. I just have to cut down the mid pipe correct? I can just go at it with a chainsaw etc and it'll be ok?

Also I'm going to get rid of my passenger pegs and possibly mount it on there.

But these are all just ideas, the main thing I'll have trouble with is the Tuning. I don't know a place that does Dyno tune and I'm clueless on how to AutoTune.

Yea thats all you need. Also, the front plastic needs to be trim(the black piece). I believe the autotune does everything for you, it tunes the bike as you go.(I believe)

MikeN02

Yea thats all you need. Also, the front plastic needs to be trim(the black piece). I believe the autotune does everything for you, it tunes the bike as you go.(I believe)
The lower cowl underneath the air filter? I heard that you have to drill a hole or something as well for the exhaust for a o2 sensor for auto tune?

Funkmaxtor

I just ordered a TBR Carbon exhaust and Juicebox for $1085. So I'm not sure how much you will actually save by doing it yourself. However, I do like the idea of doing it yourself. Nice Job!

Well i finally decided to get exhaust for my bike. I used 03-05 header and a yoshimura trs slip-on. Its loud and sounds really good.... The whole process was rather easy, except i had to use a fab shop to bend my header(i don't have a torch) other than that it went smoothly.

Cost

slip on- 283
header- 40
fab shop- 20
bolts,piece of steel from lowes-12

Total= 355, plus i still need a pcv and a dyno, which will be coming in the next few weeks, so maybe under a 1000, which is alot cheaper than tbr or m4.

I will get pics and video up this weekend>

Newmason

Where did you order your tbr exhaust from?

Funkmaxtor

New Enough

Just Google New Enough and you will find them. You have to call there parts department to get the discounted price. Ask for Nate. The deal is only if you buy both the Juicebox and the TBR exhaust.

Newmason

I'd like to see the R6 Headers done with a GP style yoshi can on the end coming right out behind the rider foot pegs!!

Newmason

Kind of like this setup!

pyrocpu

I just ordered a TBR Carbon exhaust and Juicebox for $1085. So I'm not sure how much you will actually save by doing it yourself. However, I do like the idea of doing it yourself. Nice Job!
Ha! We must have ordered the same day, from Nate. I went with Ti. Let's see who gets his TBR exhaust first! :thumbup:

MikeN02

Don't you still need to dyno/auto tune it? If you run a dyno on it wouldn't it be another $500 like they mentioned?

$800 vs $1,500? Half the price?

cavcuz05

i spent 550 + 200 for dyno tune

so 750 in all which equals a TBR with not PCV or tune

pyrocpu

Unless you're getting some sort of unusual deal w/ secondhand parts, here's my equation:

R6 header: ~$75 on ebay
Slip on of your choice: ~$325 depending on what you choose (I'm using a TBR aluminum slip-on as a proxy here)
Welding: ~$50
PCV: $275
Dyno time: $250
TOTAL: $975

TBR Aluminum (to keep constant w/ above example) w/ Juice Box is about the same cost. Added bonus: I don't have to find a welder/fabricator/exhaust shop and I don't have to find a dyno (which is a problem around here for me). Even at a $200 price premium over the R6 solution, it'd be worth it for me to NOT have the hassle of doing all that homework. The more time I'm wrenching on the bike is time spent NOT riding it! :)

cavcuz05

its definalty the cheaper way to go...still working on getting the new r6 exhaust to work and look good...more to come on this...but just dont have the time to work on it due to military work

MikeN02

its definalty the cheaper way to go...still working on getting the new r6 exhaust to work and look good...more to come on this...but just dont have the time to work on it due to military work
New r6 exhaust!? the 2009 and 2010's!? I'm excited for this one.