My quest for hard saddlebags...

Roaddawg

I've been on a quest to find some hard saddlebags for the FZ6R. The Givi V35's are about the only ones available. They look good but they are too big/wide for my riding. To give a little background, I commute on my bike almost everyday, anywhere from 100-125 miles a day. I've needed luggage to haul stuff back and forth to work. I bought a large 'monster' tailbag and it has worked out great. My only issue is, I want something secure that I can leave on the bike and not worry about it walking off. I want bags that aren't too wide, that lock, and look good on the bike. I found these bags on Ebay for $95. Or course I would have to fabricate my own brackets, which I'm not too worried about doing. I'm going to make a mock-up out of cardboard to see if the size and design flow with the bike. They are 18"Lx11"Hx6"D. They are basically about the size of the Givi E21 cases, they just look better. I'm looking for your opinions and suggestions.

EDIT: 4/23/2012, Here's a link to the bags I had bought. Motorcycle Hard Bags - DM Motorcycle Saddlebags (Powered by CubeCart)
Had to reload all my pics here.
The first few pics are of the ones I bought. The last pic is of some Yamaha "city" bags that they only sell in Europe for the FZ1 and FJR. The city bags are what I wish Yamaha would make for the R.

Attachments

• motorcyclesidetrunk3.jpg
    motorcyclesidetrunk3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 46
  • motorcyclesidetrunk.jpg
    motorcyclesidetrunk.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 52
  • motorcyclesidetrunk0.jpg
    motorcyclesidetrunk0.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 51
  • city sidecases.jpg
    city sidecases.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
SW-MOTECH racks will accomodate a variety of Givi side cases, as well as other brands.

I've seen those eBay cases before, and felt they were kinda retro / cruiser looking.

Here's my cardboard mock-up I threw together tonight. I put it at a few different places to get an idea. The first photo, the location is the best, but the pass. peg would be hard to use. #2 and #3 have full use of pegs, but sit farther back then I'd like. #4 has absolute no use of peg and is too low. I just wish there were some out there that fit the bike just right...:surrender:

Attachments

• CIMG3421.jpg
    CIMG3421.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG3431.jpg
    CIMG3431.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 76
  • CIMG3424.jpg
    CIMG3424.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83
  • CIMG3422.jpg
    CIMG3422.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I just got from her24gl the Givi E55 Maxia top case and the Givi rack. It isn't a looker but it's big (huge, immense, etc ).... I don't have no pics yet, just so darn busy with work, but soon I'll update my Sport-Touring Project thread with the latest add-ons :)).

As for side cases... well I was thinking to complete the look either with Givi V35 or E41. But that's $700+ (for cases and rack) and it's scheduled for next season only if need be. Right now I'm happy with my E55 Maxia cavernous trunk. :))

I like the look of those V35's from the side, but they are just way too wide...over a foot on either side! If they were have the width, perfect! But. that wideness is just not conducive to my city riding. And the E21's are the right size, but just too plain for me. I'm hoping someone will come out with more, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
SW-MOTECH racks will accomodate a variety of Givi side cases, as well as other brands.

I've seen those eBay cases before, and felt they were kinda retro / cruiser looking.

Yeah, I know they are geared more towards cruisers, but there's not many options out there...at least that I like for our bike. Do you think I would look like a hillbilly putting these on? I figured these were the only ones that didn't have chrome or buckles, or lights...just plain. And the curves kind of go with the bike. I was hoping for more feedback, good and bad, from everyone here on my idea.

I think any hard bags will look out of place on FZ6r, so its a matter of finding the lesser evil. The key will be to find a mounting system that looks ok when the bags are off the bike because that's how most of your riding will be (guessing).

I really like the sport-touring look on the FZ6R and have gone for that image myself, except I have the Cortech soft bags on mine (see pic). If your cardboard mock-up is accurate, I think it looks really good and would put those on mine. If you go this route, I can't wait to see some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 260
Alright, I ordered up those bags at the beginning of my post and finally had some time to fabricated some mounting brackets. What do you guys think? Kind of a FJR Junior. It took my a while to get the right placement without blocking the passenger pegs. My wife can still sit on the back with no problems. And it only takes about 5 mins to remove both bags and brackets completely and back to stock, although I plan on leaving them on most of the time. I commute daily and wanted some locking bags so I didn't have to drag my tailbag with me all the time. Saddlebags aren't for everyone but since my bike is more utilitarian than leisurely, they are for a purpose. Best of all, it cost me about $125 total!

Attachments

• CIMG3435.jpg
    CIMG3435.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 105
  • CIMG3436.jpg
    CIMG3436.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG3445.jpg
    CIMG3445.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG3437.jpg
    CIMG3437.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 93
  • CIMG3447.jpg
    CIMG3447.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CIMG3450.jpg
    CIMG3450.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Small looking, Givi too big but those don't look to hold enough for a weekend trip. Good fab job though, looks good.

Looks great, clean, nice job. Any vibration issues?

No vibs up to 80 so far. I also made a bar on the bottom that connects to the rear passenger foot peg, if you look closely. My goal was to make them solid but keep it as clean as possible. I tried to line the lines of the bags up with the frame and fairing of the bike so they would flow better.

Last edited:
Small looking, Givi too big but those don't look to hold enough for a weekend trip. Good fab job though, looks good.

Yeah, they are a little small. About 16 liters I'm guessing. You could fit about two changes of clothes and basic toiletries in both bags. If they were about 1 inch wider and 2-3 inches taller, they would be perfect. If I find some bigger ones that look good, it would be easy for me to mount them up, now that I have the basic brackets made.

Nice work on getting them on. Yes there small but we woudn't have known it withouth you doing the work. I agree a few inches here and there and perfect.

Thanks....................

That setup looks fantastic!!!!!!! IMO, the Givi's gave the bike a really big butt, but those look awesome. Will they hold a 12-pak? Curious because my laptop bag is about that size. Again, excellent job!

That setup looks fantastic!!!!!!! IMO, the Givi's gave the bike a really big butt, but those look awesome. Will they hold a 12-pak? Curious because my laptop bag is about that size. Again, excellent job!

I was able to fit an 8-pack but not a full laptop (maybe a netbook)! Here are some pics to give an idea of volume. All of them are in one bag and allowed the top to close and lock. I was actually surprised myself on what I could fit. 1) 8 Bud Light longnecks with a little room to spare, 2) Pair of jeans, two xlarge t-shirts, two pairs of socks, and two pairs of underwear, 3) Pair of jeans and pair of shoes (size 12), 4) two x-large bath towels, and 5) one pair of x-large full gauntlet gloves (I could fit about 5 pairs of these in one bag)

Attachments

• CIMG3457.jpg
    CIMG3457.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 52
  • CIMG3461.jpg
    CIMG3461.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG3462.jpg
    CIMG3462.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CIMG3463.jpg
    CIMG3463.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 40
  • CIMG3459.jpg
    CIMG3459.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That might work. Could you close the lid on the 8-pak o' bottles? Excellent choice using the measuring stick of beer, something most people can visualize. Gads, is there anything beer can't do? Well, except drive... :eek:)

Good looking setup and a great price!

I agree that you should start selling those brackets.....

Back