My new bike stand.

cbzdel

I went to harbor freight today and picked up one of their bike stands. It was $40, and is a universal stand as well that just hooks under the swing arm using some small rubber dipped semi u-shaped brackets. A great tool to add to my shop :thumbup:

(yes thats a vw engine for my 71 beetle lol, its about to be torn down and rebuilt into a BEAST :rockon:)

They also have an adapter for $10 that you can make it so the same stand will hook up to the front forks, but they were sold out of those.

C

CombatPenguin

I have this same stand, and my only complaint is that the paint is wearing off where it touches the ground but not that big of a deal.

cbzdel

I have to agree, the paint on it is very cheap, just using it once pretty much killed it haha...

but i figure its just a stand, why spend $100+ on a tool if the $40 does the same thing but is just a little uglier haha

IMO get this stand, no reason to waste money, and with the cash you save you can buy an HID headlight, (thats what I did atleast, a write up will come next week lol)

moto-x

I was thinking about getting a stand. What's the benefit? is it a better way to store the bike or is it just for doing maintenance?

MNDZA

There's a Harbor Freight next to where I work. I just called them to ask if they have a part in stock. The girl asked me for the part number and before I even gave her the whole number, she says "We don't have that....I don't even know what that is." I never mentioned what product I was looking for in the first place. Can you say *****? Well I can't....not on this forum at least.

cbzdel

I was thinking about getting a stand. What's the benefit? is it a better way to store the bike or is it just for doing maintenance?
Maintence and removing the wheels... plus if you park it for a long time, it could flat spot the tires so you lift the front and the rear..

as to them being in stock my HF had a pallet with about 12 of them on it just on the end of an isle..

rleckert

I have been checking around, it would have cost over $300.00 for bike stands, so I was very happy to get this information. Called the local HF - none in stock so I followed the link lilfuzz posted and ordered the stands and adapters yesterday. Total with shipping was just under $100.00 and I should have them in a week. The only thing I am not sure of is if I needed to order 2 adapters or if they come as a set, it was only $10.00 so it makes me wonder...

cbzdel

I have been checking around, it would have cost over $300.00 for bike stands, so I was very happy to get this information. Called the local HF - none in stock so I followed the link lilfuzz posted and ordered the stands and adapters yesterday. Total with shipping was just under $100.00 and I should have them in a week. The only thing I am not sure of is if I needed to order 2 adapters or if they come as a set, it was only $10.00 so it makes me wonder...
The front mount kit comes with (2) brackets for $10, I just got a set yesterday :thumbup:

The front is HARD to get up, I had the woman balance the bike and I had to sit on the ground and put all my force into pulling the bike up onto the stand!

C

CombatPenguin

I'm not sure about this stand but on most of the ones I read about you to use the front stand you need to be using the rear stand to.

cbzdel

I'm not sure about this stand but on most of the ones I read about you to use the front stand you need to be using the rear stand to.
whats the reasoning for that?? it seemed very balanced, I can see if you knock the bike around and make the back tire slide out there could be problems, but I just lifted the front wheel to apply my rim tape, it made it ALOT easier!

MNDZA

whats the reasoning for that?? it seemed very balanced, I can see if you knock the bike around and make the back tire slide out there could be problems, but I just lifted the front wheel to apply my rim tape, it made it ALOT easier!
Haha you should have seen me putting on my rim tape. I was rolling the bike all around the garage.

cbzdel

Haha you should have seen me putting on my rim tape. I was rolling the bike all around the garage.

the first kit I hated, it was the curved pieces, I couldn't get the straight worth a crap! so I ordered a kit with an applicator and I did ok but I ordered a second kit to re-do the right front wheel.. The other 3 sides are decent but I really want to just have a pro paint some stripes on there because I am a perfectionist..

C

CombatPenguin

I think that is the reason, incase you bump the bike. I'm Guilty of it to, now I use a chain from the rafters to hold the front end up.

GoGreen09

All along I've been thinking - how did those guys put their rim tapes on so straight??? I'm about to do it a second time, but CycleGear ran out of the blue tape.

cbzdel

All along I've been thinking - how did those guys put their rim tapes on so straight??? I'm about to do it a second time, but CycleGear ran out of the blue tape.

I used the one with the applicator.. the curved tape is BS and I have no idea how people did it!

MNDZA

I saw a video on youtube and followed it. Basically, you apply the precurved strip little by little by kind of pressing it at certain points and then adjusting it along the way. The tape is pretty flexible and can stretch so it shouldn't be too hard if you go slow.

Roaddawg

Thanks Cdzdel for this info. I just ordered up the rear stand with the front adapters from Harbor Freight. About $69 with tax and shipping! I love HF. :rockon: