My Motorcycle traffic incident Sunday afternoon

Pvee

Been riding for 50 years and this is the first time something like this happened to me.

Pulled up to a busy two lane road and my entrance from the stop sign was a steep up hill bank. A pickup truck passed me and unknown to me a aluminum storage shelf assembly fell out of the pickup truck and was laying across my lane.

As I turned onto the main road, I noticed the pickup truck pulling over to the berm but there wasn't room for him to get completely off the road.
As I started accelerating I was watching the truck in case he swerved back into the road and had not spotted me because I could see his head was turned.

All of a sudden I realize this thing is laying across my lane and I can't stop in time.
The truck is on my right and there is on coming traffic coming at me on my left.

The shelves were dark gray so they blended into the road for me ..

I hit it between the shelves and smashed it up pretty good.

As it folded up it brushed the lower fairing on both sides and the left side flipped up and smacked my toe pretty good.

Got stopped safely and pulled over and checked everything.

The gray paint that rubbed onto the fairing came right off, you can't even tell it was hit.

The pickup truck driver apologized several times.

I told him not to worry about it, he goofed up but lost his shelves and I should have seen them, but didn't and I didn't get hurt and no damage to the bike.

My toe hurt for about a day but I could move it around fine and the pain is gone now. I am just glad a jagged piece of metal didn't tear into my foot.

All this happened from takeoff to the incident in just a few seconds.

I am buying some hard toe boots in the next week or so...!!!

DragonBlu

Glad it wasn't more serious. Sometimes things happen like this that just can't be avoided. Good luck and happy riding!

Pvee

I didn't complete the ride I was starting out on because I was worried about my toe. But, the next day I did that ride.

Definitely a wake up call !!

pvp

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

Like other said, glad you are okay and no serious damage other than to your ego a bit.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

I had an incident not too long ago myself.

Damn boat seat laying in the middle of the road. It had the same color as the road carpeting on it and was really hard to see.

Jj Bone - YouTube

ajones70

Lucky!

Wow! So lucky! Glad you, most importantly, and the bike are fine!!

Detrich

Good to hear you're okay. And, definitely gear all the way up. :)

I hate it when ppl are so recklessly careless transporting stuff. I was driving to LAX at night a few months ago, and some *** wipe, who was hauling furniture, was dropping shit left and right all over the freeway.

I was driving and came around a banked turn and there was a ****ing steel dining room chair in the middle of my lane. Cars to my right and no shoulder either. I had to swerve best I could or damage our mini-van. It all happened so fast u simply have no time to react.

Fortunately I managed to squeeze by and only tapped it. Only a minor scratch to our car. But what a ****ing selfish asshole. Tie down your shit securely if you're moving!

Had I been on two wheels id be in the hospital for sure

BKP

Riding 50 years without incident... law of averages dictates you were overdue.

Now you've had your incident, and you get a law of averages reset! :) And, with no damage to you or the bike... lucky man...

Ride safe...

Pvee

Riding 50 years without incident... law of averages dictates you were overdue.

Now you've had your incident, and you get a law of averages reset! :) And, with no damage to you or the bike... lucky man...

Ride safe...

I hope you are correct. The bike should last longer than me at this point.!!!