My first ride review/impressions

Yellow09FZ6R

Hey everyone I just wanted to share what all was on my mind about our bikes after my first ride. I am in no way a motorcycle expert so this is just my joe blow opinion.

Well first off the bike is very smooth, no extreme vibrations or clunks anywhere that I can feel. The stock exhaust is a bit too quite for me so I will be looking into that down the road. Overall feel of the bike is excellent for me, I rode for almost 6 hours yesterday and never got really uncomfortable. The windscreen is lacking imo, when we went out on the highway I could not find a hiding spot from the wind, I got into a full tuck and wind noise was still everywhere. And while talking high way speeds, the gearing on this seems to be lacking. At around 65mph in 6th I was seeing between 6-7k rpms, that seems rather high to me. I may try to go up a tooth on the front to help this.

I dont know how much of you read my first, 'Im new here", thread but I stated that I am coming from a Z1000 to this FZ6R. That being said I wouldnt say I am dissapointed with the power, but can really notice the lack of. I am still in the breakin and havent took it over 7k which Im sure is where most of the power is but cruising around town I can tell it doesnt have nearly as much. But it does have plenty to get you up to speed quickly. Its in no way a under powered bike, just not a stupidly over powered bike like the other super sports.

I really feel comfortable on the bike, I told my girlfriend I liked it more then my Z1k for cruisng around simply because its not so intense. With my Z1k it was very vibraty and just had too much power. I felt like I needed to use all that power so I was always speeding in it and giving it all she had. With my FZ I am more then happy to just cruise around going the speed limit and generally enjoying life. I think it is somewhat because I know I dont have all the power in the wolrd so I dont need to hot rod the hell out of it. Its like going from my Dodge to my Toyota, I know I dont have as much horsepower in the yota as I do my dodge so I never have to floor it to make a bunch of noise and try to look cool.

Overall I would say this is a great starter bike just because of the ease of driving it. Realistically it has all the power you would ever need, Im sure the big thrill junkies will need more. Im sure I will want some more down the road but I will do the big 3 (intake exhaust pcv/juicebox) before I get rid of it though.

On another note, this breakin procedure sucks lol. I just want to rip on this thing, its very hard to hold back. Im sure even now I am being a little too rough on her, been going about 1/2 throttle to about 5k and shifting. I dont know if Im going to make it to my full 600 miles. I never really broke in my raptor and it ran like hell, I raced a few other raptors that had exhaust/intake/pc while mine was stock and was able to beat them. Same goes for my YFZ, I have a fully built race engine in it and only let it idle to temp twice then was easy on it for maybe 2 hours before I started to ride it hard and didnt have any issues. I guess those are a bit different though because you can only get about 200-300 hours out of them where a bike I could see 50k miles if treated right.

Anyways thats all I had on my mind I guess sorry for the long post, if you dont read it all it wont hurt my feelings. Happy riding and be safe everyone!

ksanbon

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club.

I agree with your impressions, especially the break-in period. The owner's manual says you can run it up to 5800, my dealer told me 6500. Even then, it gets a lot better when you can run it up over 7000.

Keep us posted and enjoy it.

Keith

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Yellow09FZ6R

Well to add a bit, I dont work for another 4 hours so I just went and removed my exhaust tip and drilled out 5 holes in a upside down star pattern on the top coming out of thr muffler body, took about 30 minutes and it sounds 10x better now. I havent had the engine under load driving around but at idle it is very much noticably louder, and just quick revs it sounds great. I am going to go ride for a bit before work so I will post up what she sounds like under load.

dannymac702

Are you sure about what gear you were in? 6th gear@7000rpm for me =80mph. stock sprokets drive and driven

Yellow09FZ6R

Yah was right around 6kish at mid 60s. So I just got back from my ride after drilling out those holes in the muffler. It sounds a lot better, its not loud by any means but it is louder then stock. With a helmet on its hard to notice much but without it you can hear the engine a lot clearer.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Yellow09FZ6R

I'm with dannymac702. Something's not right if you're only going mid-60s at 6K. Did you buy the bike new? Maybe the previous owner swapped sprockets. Or maybe your speedometer is way off in the wrong direction (they usually report faster speeds than you're actually doing).
Well I only hit 60ish once, just been riding in town, its brand new so no sprocket change. Maybe I was in 5th, I ride the highway to work so I will check again tonight on my way to work.

redwing-2001

WenMark

Welcome..During breakin I did notice the higher RPM. After the 1st service @600 miles it seemed as if the tranny magically felt night and day different..well sort of you know what I mean. There will be a little surprise in the higher power bands once you open her up. She can run, not like a SS but she has a little nasty to her. Enjoy and be safe. Thanks for the review.