My first mod: T-Rex frame sliders

Cerebus

Being a new rider on a brand new bike, I decided I was going to put some sliders on to protect my "investment" ...just in case. So before going on only my third ride today, I got up early and installed a new set of T-Rex frame sliders. I went with T-Rex based on the attachment method. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problems as geekmaster did here:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/new-t-rex-frame-slider-installation-tips-28731/

I had to elongate the front hole on the right side bracket. I also had to reuse one of the stock bolts for that hole location as the included replacement was a shade too long. It would bottom out before snugging up. I even put two washers on it, and it wasn't enough.

I am irritated that I had to take those two steps as the kits are supposed to be model specific. For that reason, I can't really say I'd recommend these.

bloodypulp

Being a new rider on a brand new bike, I decided I was going to put some sliders on to protect my "investment" ...just in case. So before going on only my third ride today, I got up early and installed a new set of T-Rex frame sliders. I went with T-Rex based on the attachment method. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problems as geekmaster did here:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/new-t-rex-frame-slider-installation-tips-28731/

I had to elongate the front hole on the right side bracket. I also had to reuse one of the stock bolts for that hole location as the included replacement was a shade too long. It would bottom out before snugging up. I even put two washers on it, and it wasn't enough.

I am irritated that I had to take those two steps as the kits are supposed to be model specific. For that reason, I can't really say I'd recommend these.
I'd be pissed too. Sorry about ur trouble. I went with shoguns. Had to cut fairing a bit but they went on perfect.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

WeatherB

I had problems with mine as well, first was an incorrect spacer which TRex took care of right away and then second was that the right puck wouldn't fit on with the washer installed due to some machining issue. I decided to just skip a washer. Definitely not what you expect from such a nice machined piece.

Hope they take care of these issues with the next batch.

I had the Shoguns before but the Trex ones just look sooo much better!

Attachments

Bert-Aus

I just installed the T-Rex sliders last week, had same issue...

but for the sake of berthing 1 hole forwards by approx 0.75mm and 1 bolt a washer gauge too long -no biggy

They look nice and sit really well with frame and fairings + you get to colour cordinate with the annodized ring:thumbup:

BKP

Look... frame sliders are *not* going to protect your bike at speed, or even during a low-side if they happen to catch, and shear off. This is true of Shoguns, T-Rex, Sato, Woodcraft, Yoshi, etc. The physics of inertia and shear won't allow it.

For every unfortunate shear of a slider cylinder, there are stories of a frame slider save. I dropped my bike when some cager slammed her door into me, before I got off the bike, in a parking lot. Zero damage to the bike, thanks to the T-Rex slider. Otherwise, it would have meant a $300 piece of plastic. Already paid for themselves three times over. I'm personally a fan of T-Rex, and I think their customer service is great. They've made machining mistakes in the past, but, they're more than willing to correct them as soon as you point it out to them, and they're constantly trying to improve their product -- hence the cone shapes, compared to generation 1, which I have. The cones are less apt to catch and shear.

However, if you're looking to protect your bike at any kind of speed, or even a slower speed on a rough topology, with much higher certainty, then you're not looking for a frame slider... you're looking for crash bars... Frame sliders are meant for the very (VERY) slow speed offs, or the U-turn and driveway drops -- where they do their job very well.

Daemonich

I installed my T-Rex set this weekend. They fit decent enough. Tight on the edges, but nothing you have to drill or extend for. Once everything was evenly bolted down, they came out looking beautiful. Good thing I did too, because the next day I layed her down. My dad's property is conveniently located on the side of a hill, so his driveway where the sidewalk meets is uneven. There is a pothole formed by erosion in the grass where the corners meet, and when I rode uphill onto the sidewalk to then back her in, the tire caught the sidewalk edge. Well she cut in, I put my foot down and applied the brakes, but my foot slipped out on the grass. I was so angry and embarrased, till my dad (riding for 10+ years) told me he recently put his Harley down in the same spot at night. His bike weighs roughly twice what mine does O_O. Picked her up, nothing except a little dirt on the slider. Victory in my book.