My Comparison FZ6R VS Yamaha R6S / R6

swatguy

So I had a thread a while back about possibly swapping to an R6 or a R1 for my use all on the highway as my commute was 65 mile one way, of which 62 or so of the miles are all highway. I was hoping of dropping a couple rpms by going to these other bikes for my highway use as when I originally bought my FZ6R it was mostly city and about 5 miles on the highway. I really wanted a full faired bike so left my options limited. So here is my take after getting on the R6S I purchased. I couldn't pass on the deal I got. I was toying with the FZ1 and putting on a fairing kit. That will be my fall back (well not really a backwards step per say) if the riding position on the R6S gets to me.

I went with the R6S vs the newer style R6 as the riding position was a little more upright and the power band was a bit more down low. That statement only holds true compared to the newer 07 and up R6's. Yamaha kept the 2003-2005 style going in the 2006-2010R6S(Pretty sure was last year) . I finally got some time on the bike. Put only about 100miles on so far as it has been 50 out here in January :thumbup:

First impressions:

If I were still riding in a traffic/city environment the R6S would get old in a heartbeat. It really doesn't like the stop and go and you need to keep the revs up off the line. You would probably never leave 1st or second gear. The FZ6R has way more pep off the line and is much much smoother. The FZ6R just goes so smooth of the line with next to zero throttle. That down low torque is fun. I could easily see the FZ6R handing the R6S its lunch on a street environment.

Low speed turns would also go to the FZ6R as well. The FZ6R enters and exits at lower speeds so easily compared to the R6S. Especially after I did the Super Street Bike mod to it, by my lowering the forks 1.5inches. The FZ6R turns effortlessly.

Riding position is also edged out to the FZ6R. As we all know that is its best feature. However afetr being on the seat on the R6S our seat on the FZ6R is plain crap. Wow what a night and day difference. I would have never known as the FZ6R was my first bike after a long span of not riding for a bit. My but in the R6S feels like its in a lazy boy compared to my FZ6R. The key for me as i have learned over the years of ocassionally riding supersports is you really need to grip the tank with your knees to take the pressure off your wrists. In the city no matter what you are going to get some pressure on the R6S and that will get old fast in stop and go.

So now on to where the R6S shines compared to the FZ6R in my opinion. On the highway the riding position for me on the R6S with the stock windscreen kept the wind off my body even more than my FZ6R with a Puig. A huge part of that I am sure is the more tucked in, leaned over riding position, while maybe not so comfy for most I felt fine in the short highway trip I was able to get of about 30 miles each way.

Again the seat was money on the R6S. What a difference to my FZ6R.

On the highway riding at about 80mph I am over 2k lower on the tach compared to the FZ6R, possibly 2500 lower. I was around 8k in the 80-85mph on my FZ6R and 6 ish on the R6S. I am comparing stock to stock here, no sprocket mods whatsoever. This is what I was hoping for and it seemed to work out for me. Most of the power on the R6S and more so on the newer R6's is all in the top range of the tach. Even way above my cruising speed in 6th gear. ITs there if I want to play with it and of course I did and the get up and go in the 9-12k range is absolutely stunning. WOW! is a rush for sure.

Handling on the highway and at the higher speeds was a bit better on the R6S as well. I am sure that is no surprise as you are getting a much higher end front and rear suspension. The R6S floated onto the turns when you leaned on it at the higher speeds. A much more instant response and subtle movement to get the bike to respond. It was a blast. (this my be partially related to new bike itus at the moment....only time will tell ;)) The bumps and road imperfections were also soaked up even being a supersport. It was also noticeable on the city streets. I didn;t get so many bone jarring quick snap hits from a couple of the "road hazards" I got on my FZ6R on the same roads.

All in all the riding position on the R6S for me on the highway for now wasn't harsh at all. I have yet to make my full 67 mile one way drive, but from what I felt I don't feel that it will kill me. Around town tho in spot and go again total different story. I would much prefer the FZ6R

So in the end to sum it all up I guess you can't argue with the mags.....The FZ6R in on the street is a much more fun and agile bike with tons of pep all the way thru the powerband. You get that quick burst almost no matter where you are speed wise as long as your are in the right gear. The torque is present everywhere. The R6S just wont give you that til you hit the upper revs on the tach at around 50-60mph from my view. It is way more bland than I anticipated in stop and go. However when the R6S takes off in that upper power range it flies. It's almost fly off the hanledbars quick if you aren't holding on in those hi gher rev ranges. Its purely an adrenaline shot. However in a standard street riding scenario you will almost never see it and it was much more lack luster than I thought it was going to be......I would almost use the word sluggish down low.

So for me I think I am really going to enjoy the R6S due to my highway commute and the areas I ride in now. Only time will tell. I can't give an MPG comparison yet as I forgot to reset the trip because I was so excited to just get on being 50 out in January. Biggest downfall is going to be premium fuel on the R6S vs the regular you can run in the FZ6R. I will update this later.

While not a huge in depth review, when I originally purchased my FZ6R this was the bike that was competing and i know a ton of people have also thought the same thing. Figure I would add the review for others to find and get some input after some first hand impressions.

R6S.jpg

R6S2.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteFZ

Nice review. I went from daily riding my wife's FZ6R. My commute was mostly highway, 50 miles a day. I went from that to a CBR 954RR. At first I thought the SS riding position would bother me. I can honestly say I was comfy from day one. I love it. No wrist issues. I don't dislike my wife's bike, but I can't see myself getting a standard ever again. I love my bike. I did ride my friend's 02 R6(almost exact riding position as your R6S) a bunch of times in my commute. Yeah, down low power was so-so, but it responded very well, even for being a carbed bike. It revved like mad on the highway just like the FZ6R. The seat was comfy, but my friend's bike was lowered a little to aggressively in the front and the angle did put a little pressure on the wrists. I have since ridden GSX-R750's, and CBR600RR's. I love them. I think if I ever deem SS too uncomfortable for me, then I'll get a VFR800. I just don't like the upright standard position.

RoadTrip

Good, honest review. Bike looks great!

SS's are more challenging in a lot of respects, with highs and lows, and the racy engine will tempt you, so you will be doing that for a bit. But, enventually you settle in and slow down and find enjoyment at the same speeds you were riding the FZ6R. You will find the new riding position to seem normal over time, but slow speed manuevers will continue to be a challenge - however, for me that is what has kept my gixxer interesting, because it continues to reward as the learning curve is much longer.

I am far from 'mastering' this new bike, but after 5000+ miles on it, I am starting to become one with it, and it becomes a kind of sublime riding experience.

The FZ6R is a great bike, wonderful to start on, and great for those who want to have a more relaxed riding experience, the cost of ownership is also lower - but, I never had a SS, so I wanted to try one before I got too old. I just consider a SS to be one of many bikes I will likely experience along the way.

Last edited:

swatguy

I was kind of in the same boat having owned a super sport when I was younger. I really wanted to give one a try again now in my later years. Couldn't pass up the chance at one again. I figured if it didn't work out i could just end up selling the bike as I will still have my FZ6R and probably will til spring when it sells.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Kdubb223

Appreciate the honest review and looking forward to reading your next post on how the bike is.

Who runs regular in their fz6r? A 20 cent difference on 3-3.5 gallons... what sucks is having a 350z with a 20 gallon tank drinking premium like its going outta style :( shoulda went with the honda:thumbup:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Good review! IMO though, if you wanted a SS bike with torque down low and up top, should have went with a Ninja 636 or a Daytona 675. I've ridden both, and own a Daytona, and they have more torque from take off then the FZ, and 8789289344 times more umpth up top. I do enjoy the look of the R6S though, I just hate that even on the normal R6 you have to rev to about 6k+ just to pull out.

Appreciate the honest review and looking forward to reading your next post on how the bike is.

Who runs regular in their fz6r? A 20 cent difference on 3-3.5 gallons... what sucks is having a 350z with a 20 gallon tank drinking premium like its going outta style :( shoulda went with the honda:thumbup:
Shit try having a Trailblazer SS LS2 that gets 12 miles to a gallon, with a 26 gallon tank and has to run Premium :rolleyes:

swatguy

Yea I looked into a 636 as well as a Cbr600RR precisely for the torque. For some reason I just couldn't get comfy on the 636. I kept squirming around. However the CBR fit pretty good. I was leaning towards the CBR600RR and was searching hard. The R6S was actually second on the list. However I came across a showroom bike that just said hello and was calling my name. Then the deal was to good not to take a chance. In my area the Triumphs go for a premium and there are next to zero dealers. The ergos on the Daytona were a bit more aggressive I thought as well, but a dam sexy bike.

I will be honest. I never even gave a Gixxer a try so can't really compare. While I think the 750 would have possibly been a great bike for me for me, I just see a ton of them and I am really not fan of their looks. Just my thing.

As far as regular in my FZ6R, That's what the manual as well as the dealership recommended. They said the engine was designed for it and premium wouldn't give you anything that the regular wouldn't that would justify the extra costs. I have always been told to run the lowest octane possible that doesn't make the engine ping and have done that. The R6S has a higher compression ratio and thus the need for the higher octane rating.

Alex6

Who runs regular in their fz6r? A 20 cent difference on 3-3.5 gallons... ...
Why not to run regular in the FZ6R? What are the benefits in running premium? I'd think that following the manufacturer's recommendations is not such a bad idea.

iSpoolin

Yea I looked into a 636 as well as a Cbr600RR precisely for the torque. For some reason I just couldn't get comfy on the 636. I kept squirming around. However the CBR fit pretty good. I was leaning towards the CBR600RR and was searching hard. The R6S was actually second on the list. However I came across a showroom bike that just said hello and was calling my name. Then the deal was to good not to take a chance. In my area the Triumphs go for a premium and there are next to zero dealers. The ergos on the Daytona were a bit more aggressive I thought as well, but a dam sexy bike.

I will be honest. I never even gave a Gixxer a try so can't really compare. While I think the 750 would have possibly been a great bike for me for me, I just see a ton of them and I am really not fan of their looks. Just my thing.

As far as regular in my FZ6R, That's what the manual as well as the dealership recommended. They said the engine was designed for it and premium wouldn't give you anything that the regular wouldn't that would justify the extra costs. I have always been told to run the lowest octane possible that doesn't make the engine ping and have done that. The R6S has a higher compression ratio and thus the need for the higher octane rating.
Yeah i'm not a fan of the seating position on the Kawi either, it's not to aggressive, it's not to upright, its at that point in the middle that's just annoying lol and it's the same here I have to drive two hours to a Triumph dealer, however I LOVE being the ONLY D675 around for miles! :D

I actually like GSXR's, they are VERY comfortable for a sport bike, and the 750 is spot on in the torque department! I test rode one and highly considered it before I got the Daytona, but for the price I got on the Daytona I wasn't passing it up.

Sander Koop

Elite Member