My camera setup

Sirnice

Killabee asked about my camera setup after viewing this video. http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/cager-cut-me-off-first-time-taking-my-bike-work-23068/

I told him that I would make a video of my camera setup over the weekend but I was too busy. I will try to do one soon but for now here is what I have.

2 main componenets:
1) Camera: Creative Vado HD pocket cam

Where did I purchase it?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vado&x=0&y=0]Amazon.com: vado[/ame]

How much?
I paid $70 for it brand new but can be had for around $50 or less if you buy used or new from eBay.

Why did I pick this camera?
There are many pocket cams out there (Kodak, Flip cam, Sony, Samsung, etc..) but I pick the creative Vado HD because of one thing, WIDE ANGLE LENS. This camera has the best wide angle lens of all other cams and the HD quality is on par with the best of them. Other factors are good low light capture, built-in 8GB memory for recording up to 4 hours on standard mode and 2 hours on HD mode. The model I have is the 1st gen. and it comes with a weather proof jacket. Other cool features are: easy to use, built-in apps and easy upload to video services like Youtube and others.

(note: There are 3 generations of them but I have the 1st gen. They all are essentially the same. Same specs, same image quality but just differ on the outside casing. I recommend the 1st or 2nd gen because of the actually physical buttons while the 3rd gen use touch capacitive buttons. One addition feature of the 3rd gen is the external mic input but that's not very useful for our application)

2) Camera mount:
DC+IG-B05: i.Trek Robust Motorcycle bicycle bike Handlebar Mount for Compact Digital Camera and Garmin Nuvi GPS

Where to buy?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DC-IG-B05-Motorcycle-bicycle-Handlebar/dp/B002SLLACG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315483293&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: DC+IG-B05: i.Trek Robust Motorcycle bicycle bike Handlebar Mount for Compact Digital Camera and Garmin Nuvi GPS: Electronics[/ame]

How much I paid?
$8 shipped on eBay but I recommend getting it from Amazon b/c it took over a week to receive it from eBay seller.

Why?
The main reason I pick this model is because the stem is longer therefore my camera lens can reach over the windscreen if I decide to replace my clear stock screen with something darker (not able to see thru the screen). It's also very cheap and comes with 2 types of mounts; 1 is the camera mount and 2 is the rounded type mount for GPS. I don't need it because I have another mount for my iPhone which I use as a GPS :).

That's all folks, very easy to install and well under $100. I think it's better option than those $200+ specialized bike cams.

Update: 9/22/2011
photos

Last edited:

Jots S.R.M.C.

Right on bro- I've tried to record some videos of hitting the mountain a cpl times..

I've even gone as far as put my phone in my helmet.. however my camera never stays straight

Just bought camera mount

Great pics. You convinced me. Just logged onto amazon and bought the mount. Will try it with my current camera. I'm just hoping to angle the bracket forward toward my clear windscreen so the camera stays behind the screen. I'm guessing it will reduce vibration at high speeds since wind is not a factor.