Moving to Cali - couple questions

dtrey28

So I am transferring to San Diego office effective July and I was curious if anyone knows a few things.

First, I have a temp Colorado registration and it is only a few week gap between when that expires and when I get to SD. I am thinking it makes sense to just wait and stay low key on the bike and waiting to get Cali plates. Any idea on how much that might run me?

Also, I have noticed everything seems a little different in Cali with emissions stuff, etc so is there any issues there I should be aware of?

Also, will my Colorado moto endorsement transfer over?

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Roaddawg

Assuming your not military, you have 20 days to get your California license and registration once you have established residency and/or employment here. Once you pay your fees, show CA insurance, and fill out your registration paperwork, you'll be able to get your plate from DMV. There's no smog test for the bike (yet!), but you will probably have to get a VIN verification by CHP before you'll get the registration, because your coming from out of state. Do you know if your bike is a "49 State" bike or a "50 State" bike? Some bikes aren't manufactured for CA emission standard, such as many Chinese bikes. Or, if your over 7500 miles, your ok.

I just paid my reg. fees for my bike and it was $146.00. (You have to pay premium to ride these nice roads here!:rolleyes:)

As for your M1 license endorsement, your going to have to take the written test, but the driving test is usually waived as long as your Colorado license is in good standing.

Last edited:

dtrey28

Welcome to town. But unfortunately I don't have sure answers for you. :eek:

I do know that having expired tags is going to get you quick but if you only have a dealership plate and don't draw any attention to yourself, you may be OK. The problem is if something happens out of your control, not your fault, you could end up in a bit of trouble. Can't remember what registration cost off the top of my head.

Emissions you're fine. The bike is perfectly legal.

For the license, not sure but I think so. A guy I rode with, his M2 (scooter license) in another state transferred over to an M1 (full motorcycle endorsement) here so I would assume so.

What part of town are you moving to? I've been here my whole life. If you need someone to show you some of the fun back roads we have when you get here, hit me up.
Thanks. I am not planning on riding the bike illegally really I just meant that I'd keep it in the garage for my last two weeks in CO and skip Colorado plates and just get it all set up when I get out there.

I will most likely be living in the Point Loma area. I am stoked to get out there and might take you up on the offer. Thanks dude.

dtrey28

Assuming your not military, you have 20 days to get your California license and registration once you have established residency and/or employment here. Once you pay your fees, show CA insurance, and fill out your registration paperwork, you'll be able to get your plate from DMV. There's no smog test for the bike (yet!), but you will probably have to get a VIN verification by CHP before you'll get the registration, because your coming from out of state. Do you know if your bike is a "49 State" bike or a "50 State" bike? Some bikes aren't manufactured for CA emission standard, such as many Chinese bikes. Or, if your over 7500 miles, your ok.

I just paid my reg. fees for my bike and it was $146.00. (You have to pay premium to ride these nice roads here!:rolleyes:)

As for your M1 license endorsement, your going to have to take the written test, but the driving test is usually waived as long as your Colorado license is in good standing.
Thanks. I am not sure of the bikes's status but I am hoping Jon Kerr is right and I am ok on the emissions thing.

I am probably doing a pretty fair trade with nice roads. Colorado has some amazing roads but I would guess Cali trumps it due to a way longer riding season. Heres to not shoveling snow in April! (and May and June for that matter)

gearhead

I moved back to CA after living away for a few years. I had no problem bringing my out-of-state vehicles into CA (2005 Subaru and 1975 Bronco.) Just had to pay the license and registration fees. Most of the problems involved with bringing out of state vehicles into CA is for existing residents. CA protects its car dealers by prohibiting residents from purchasing new vehicles (under 7500 milage on odometer) from out of the state. I've heard that a new vehicle can be purchased out of state but that it's more involved (???) If the vehicle is 1976 or newer, there are smog issues to be dealt with- but not for motorcycles. If it wasn't complicated, it wouldn't be CA.
Hope this helps.