Moving Out

Neme

So its that time in my life. I'm moving out and going to college about 3 hours from home. I have a lease starting for an apartment. It's a furnished apartment with utilities included. So that relieves some stress. I'm attending Universal Technical Institute to get my Auto certifications.

I am REALLY nervous about moving out. I'm sharing the apartment with other people to split costs but I'm still nervous that I won't be able to find a good enough job to live. My parents are paying the first months rent so I have time to find a job down by my apartment but I'm scared I won't be able to find one.

Anybody have any tips, suggestions or comments? I'm sure most of you have been through this phase in your lives already so share some of those tricks you figured out along the way.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

HotSauce

Have fun but always keep your priorities straight; I had a fellow room-mate I knew from high school when I was in college...I watched him go from getting better grades than me to failing out, he's now a manager at Walmart :eek:

Don't let the small stuff get to you; remember, you're in college, and no matter how clean your room-mates claim they will be, they won't, and arguing about it just create problems.

If you're all going to pitch in for TV or something, don't be the primary on the bill; it was a PITA to get my other three room-mates to fork over their share each month.

...but you're looking for job advice. There's usually plenty of jobs in college towns, just do some searching and find something that interests you. If you have fun doing it, you'll be more inclined to keep the job and move up the ranks quicker. If you can't find something or find yourself slipping behind (on either rent or your grades), don't hesitate to ask the parents for a little help; pride aside, your parents will understand, everyone's been a broke college kid in their day, plus, grades are a hell of a lot more important.

Good luck with your studies, party some, but keep it all in line...remember how well you do in your life may be determined by how well you perform in those short 4-5 years, study hard now and it'll pay off later!

Brock Kickass

Roommates suck, but it's a fact of life. I liked mine for the most part, but I was never so glad to say goodbye to someone. Do your best to not let it get you down. You'll have a blast partying with them, and want to strangle them for leaving a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Sooner or later it will be over and you'll enjoy the bliss of no roommates, so pay your dues and live with it.

As for jobs, I have always had success by getting my résumé together, doing some research on the employer and the position, and then going in to the place and asking for a manager. It makes a good impression and sets you apart from the crowd if you hand your résumé to a manager directly and have a mini-interview on the spot. Make sure you're ready. Clean up, dress nice, simple stuff.

Also, have some common sense. For example; when I was managing a restaurant, if you came in and gave me your résumé at dinner service when we were busy as hell, I'd toss your application as you were walking out the door. Do a bit of research about the place you're applying and make sure you're coming in at a good time. If you piss the person you speak to off by catching them at a stupid time you're sunk before you start.

Good luck to you. Moving out for the first time is a huge step. There will be great things and frustrating things about it, but it's all part of the journey. Take it all in and have fun with it. Just remember why you're there and don't party it up too much.

Neme

Neme

Roommates suck, but it's a fact of life. I liked mine for the most part, but I was never so glad to say goodbye to someone. Do your best to not let it get you down. You'll have a blast partying with them, and want to strangle them for leaving a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Sooner or later it will be over and you'll enjoy the bliss of no roommates, so pay your dues and live with it.

As for jobs, I have always had success by getting my résumé together, doing some research on the employer and the position, and then going in to the place and asking for a manager. It makes a good impression and sets you apart from the crowd if you hand your résumé to a manager directly and have a mini-interview on the spot. Make sure you're ready. Clean up, dress nice, simple stuff.

Also, have some common sense. For example; when I was managing a restaurant, if you came in and gave me your résumé at dinner service when we were busy as hell, I'd toss your application as you were walking out the door. Do a bit of research about the place you're applying and make sure you're coming in at a good time. If you piss the person you speak to off by catching them at a stupid time you're sunk before you start.

Good luck to you. Moving out for the first time is a huge step. There will be great things and frustrating things about it, but it's all part of the journey. Take it all in and have fun with it. Just remember why you're there and don't party it up too much.
Great advice! I'll be sure to follow it as it seems accurate. One thing, I'm bring my laptop and a few valuables. Should I bring a small safe or something to put them in so my roomates don't steal them? I don't know if theft between roomates is something to worry about. I know damn well I'm buying disk locks, chains, a cover, and an alarm for my bike. I don't know the area to well but its a college town so I'm sure there will be theives.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Neme

Have fun but always keep your priorities straight; I had a fellow room-mate I knew from high school when I was in college...I watched him go from getting better grades than me to failing out, he's now a manager at Walmart :eek:

Don't let the small stuff get to you; remember, you're in college, and no matter how clean your room-mates claim they will be, they won't, and arguing about it just create problems.

If you're all going to pitch in for TV or something, don't be the primary on the bill; it was a PITA to get my other three room-mates to fork over their share each month.

...but you're looking for job advice. There's usually plenty of jobs in college towns, just do some searching and find something that interests you. If you have fun doing it, you'll be more inclined to keep the job and move up the ranks quicker. If you can't find something or find yourself slipping behind (on either rent or your grades), don't hesitate to ask the parents for a little help; pride aside, your parents will understand, everyone's been a broke college kid in their day, plus, grades are a hell of a lot more important.

Good luck with your studies, party some, but keep it all in line...remember how well you do in your life may be determined by how well you perform in those short 4-5 years, study hard now and it'll pay off later!
great advice. Thank you so much. I know my parents will do anything they can to help which calms the mind somewhat. I already have mostly everything I need for the move. I'm not much into partying, I'll have a beer here and there but nothing crazy. I'd rather just relax, lol. I guess I'm an old person in a college kids body. I know I'll go out every now and then and have a good time, but school is going to be number 1 no matter what. Hopefully my roomates are the same way. I don't want to have party roomates when I'm trying to get shit done.

Brock Kickass

Does your room lock? That ought to be enough unless you're moving in with Thugs'R'Us. I had a camera disappear once, though. My room didn't lock. Best I could figure it was one of my roommates' shady friends. That is one of the drawbacks of roommates; you're never sure who is being invited in to your home. Your room is your only private place. Make sure you set out clearly to your roommates that your room is your private place. Everyone needs their own space.

Neme

Should I bring a small safe or something to lock valuables in like a computer?

Is the Ramen diet really true? Lol. If so, I have to make a trip to BJs and get a pallet of it.

What's it like with food and stuff? Is it basically everybody tends for them selves? I know if I buy food I won't want anybody touching it unless its something like everybody pitches in. Is it something like the roomates take turns making meals?

What about basic stuff like toilet paper, is this something I get for myself or does everybody pitch in and buy it for the apartment?

Neme

Does your room lock? That ought to be enough unless you're moving in with Thugs'R'Us. I had a camera disappear once, though. My room didn't lock. Best I could figure it was one of my roommates' shady friends. That is one of the drawbacks of roommates; you're never sure who is being invited in to your home. Your room is your only private place. Make sure you set out clearly to your roommates that your room is your private place. Everyone needs their own space.
I don't think it does. I might even have to share a room with someone. I'm not really sure. I havent been down there to check out the apartment. There's a company affiliated with the school that arranges the apartments for students and pairs them up.

Neme

My stepdaughter starts school soon at West Chester University.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I've heard some stories from the school staff members. They say that's the nearby party school. It's about 15 minutes away.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Neme

She's going to be a teacher and it was son of the better schools. My wife and I and my other daughter also go to school.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Oh good for her! Hope she makes it. I'm not reaching that high, lol. I'm just going to be a grease monkey. Oh well, it can pay good if you work up the ladder in a dealer. Maybe I'll be lucky and get into BMW or something.

Neme

In my opinion, having Roommates just sucks...

It is a HUGE pain in the butt.

A few tips I would suggest.

Yes, a lock for your room door. If they won't let you put on your own lock on the door, then don't bring anything in the home that you are not willing to lose. Stuff disappears and nobody knows anything about it.

Paper plates, plastic cups and plastic silverware are your friends. If you eat on disposable items, no one can accuse you of not doing your share of the dishes.

Don't bring a lot of food or beer into the common space, it always disappears. Keep some canned food (ravioli, beef stew, sardines etc.) under your bed, that way you'll have your own emergency stash of food if all your other food disappears.

Have a book on your nightstand. Something fun to read, that way you can entertain yourself in the privacy of your room. You can also use it as an excuse when you don't want to socialize with the roomies.

Don't get involved in the drama. At some point, roommates... even the best of friends don't see eye to eye. If you see tension rising in a common area, excuse yourself and go read.

Roommates are dirty, if you like clean common areas (bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc.), resolve yourself to the fact that you will be cleaning up after these people. Don't complain about it, just take it in stride.

All the best and good luck.
thank you, i Like the paper plates idea so I don't get accused of not doing dishes. I have a feeling I'm just going to be going on rides on the bike very often to get away.

ej'sfz

your best bet, especially if you really want to get into automotive, make up your resume, even if it doesn't have any experience on it yet. just make sure you highlight your want to work on and always improve on your skills with cars. print about 30 of them and just drop them off at every local oil changer and auto shops first. gotta start somewhere and 9 times out of ten it'll be on the bottom. most places ive known are willing to hire a guy to sweep floors and gradually work in to working on cars, and its really the best way to learn. im not baggin on school what so ever, i believe any info you can soak up is good. i moved out with a few hundred dollars and luckily got a job at a shop at a shop within about two weeks....
and as for the roomate issues, its basically been summed up. keep your own stash of food/laundry/cleaning supplies, and ESPECIALLy TOILET PAPER in your room haha. all in all man you really just gotta go with the flow and take the good with the bad with roommates. i myself am really glad i dont have to deal with them anymore, but it is just one of those experiences you gotta go through...good luck

Neme

your best bet, especially if you really want to get into automotive, make up your resume, even if it doesn't have any experience on it yet. just make sure you highlight your want to work on and always improve on your skills with cars. print about 30 of them and just drop them off at every local oil changer and auto shops first. gotta start somewhere and 9 times out of ten it'll be on the bottom. most places ive known are willing to hire a guy to sweep floors and gradually work in to working on cars, and its really the best way to learn. im not baggin on school what so ever, i believe any info you can soak up is good. i moved out with a few hundred dollars and luckily got a job at a shop at a shop within about two weeks....
and as for the roomate issues, its basically been summed up. keep your own stash of food/laundry/cleaning supplies, and ESPECIALLy TOILET PAPER in your room haha. all in all man you really just gotta go with the flow and take the good with the bad with roommates. i myself am really glad i dont have to deal with them anymore, but it is just one of those experiences you gotta go through...good luck
Thank you! I'll make a resume today and maybe go down there this weekend to the local tire shops and lube express places. I just need a job to get threw school I don't care if its in the auto industry or not. I'll work any where if it comes down to it.

Lol I'll have to keep a bin with all my emergency stuff I guess. I didn't know it was that bad!

Thanks!

Thank you! I'll have to make a resume today and really focus on my willing to learn and and get somewhere in the automotive industry. I've had 3 past jobs so it shouldnt be tooo empty.

pjmac5

So its that time in my life. I'm moving out and going to college about 3 hours from home. I have a lease starting for an apartment. It's a furnished apartment with utilities included. So that relieves some stress. I'm attending Universal Technical Institute to get my Auto certifications.

I am REALLY nervous about moving out. I'm sharing the apartment with other people to split costs but I'm still nervous that I won't be able to find a good enough job to live. My parents are paying the first months rent so I have time to find a job down by my apartment but I'm scared I won't be able to find one.

Anybody have any tips, suggestions or comments? I'm sure most of you have been through this phase in your lives already so share some of those tricks you figured out along the way.

Did you already fill out a FAFSA for financial aid?

Neme