Moving 1500 miles cross country - no trailer - to keep bike or sell?

arse

Hey guys I needed some fellow riders advice before I make any brash decisions.

My gf and I are moving to Denver from Ohio in November. We are both traveling light and keeping costs down by not taking a uhaul or trailer.

I have been through a lot of bikes in my 3 years riding, and can tell that I'll always be the type to be trying something I haven't yet. With that said, I really do enjoy my 919, with the biggest complaint being the suspension.

My choices are basically service then store the bike in November with the intent of flying to Ohio in the spring to ride out to CO, or sell it in the next few months for hopefully around what I paid. I do enjoy the bike, and have long ago decided it was worth every penny I spent.

I'm pretty sure the fz09 will be my next ride. Just not sure if that's doable by next spring, would have a better idea after the move.

What do you guys think? Cliffs are I'm moving to co from Ohio, debating servicing and storing my 919 to ride to co in spring, or selling it before the move. What would you do if a trailer wasn't an option? Will be driving a 2010 Mazda 3 out there.

I should add, the dealer service will be around $350, also need new rubber so another $350, and the plane ticket plus time off work to come retrieve my bike are weighting my decision somewhat. I have a problem with dealer mainting bikes then selling them, trying to avoid that hah!

Last edited:

yillbs

Depends if the bike is worth the money to move it. Go to Shipping Companies in Canada | International Shipping to Canada - uShip and you can get it moved for about 400-500 bucks. The other stuff you were going to be doing to it will get done regardless if you were moving, so that part should not be apart of your equation. If you are okay with not having a beautiful duc next riding season, and don't mind getting rid of it, then it's a no brainer. although, IMO i'd move it. I'd love me some duc love :)

Hey guys I needed some fellow riders advice before I make any brash decisions.

My gf and I are moving to Denver from Ohio in November. We are both traveling light and keeping costs down by not taking a uhaul or trailer.

I have been through a lot of bikes in my 3 years riding, and can tell that I'll always be the type to be trying something I haven't yet. With that said, I really do enjoy my 919, with the biggest complaint being the suspension.

My choices are basically service then store the bike in November with the intent of flying to Ohio in the spring to ride out to CO, or sell it in the next few months for hopefully around what I paid. I do enjoy the bike, and have long ago decided it was worth every penny I spent.

I'm pretty sure the fz09 will be my next ride. Just not sure if that's doable by next spring, would have a better idea after the move.

What do you guys think? Cliffs are I'm moving to co from Ohio, debating servicing and storing my 919 to ride to co in spring, or selling it before the move. What would you do if a trailer wasn't an option? Will be driving a 2010 Mazda 3 out there.

I should add, the dealer service will be around $350, also need new rubber so another $350, and the plane ticket plus time off work to come retrieve my bike are weighting my decision somewhat. I have a problem with dealer mainting bikes then selling them, trying to avoid that hah!

EsrTek

Yeah seems like a pita and costly to do it your method.
Any family or close friends store the bike for you?

Not sure but I'm thinking the 919 are rare in US, if so I'd definately try to keep it... a very common and not high priced Fz6r.. I would sell and buy another cheap bike till I could afford the fz09

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BKP

If it were me, I'd put it on the market. Serves two purposes.

1) Removes one costly complication from the moving equation -
2) Gets you one step closer to the FZ09 you have your eye on, both financially, and practically, once you're moved and settled -

No brainer IMHO...

arse

Good advice so far guys. I do have a good place to store it in Ohio, it just seems like letting the beast sleep for 6 months then returning to ride it right back to Colorado is going to be a pita. I think I'm definitely leaning towards selling it and if the fz09 is out of my reach I can snag a fz1 or possibly another 919. The 919 is somewhat rare, but not impossible to find a clean example of.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Did u look into shipping costs? Shipping a bike isn't usually as expensive as some think. I'm sure there's super expensive and moderately priced shipping. May be better option and less money then the alternatives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
Be careful when shipping. I sold a car to a guy in Chicago and he opted for the lowest bid to ship it. Ended up being an incredible pain in the rear for me (the seller) because the truck that showed up was leaking diesel all over the road (and the cars on the trailer), didn't have a functioning battery for the hydraulics to lower the trailer, and didn't have a driver competent enough to recognize the lower lip on the car I was selling. Also took about 3 weeks to get the car from Richmond VA to Chicago. He probably spent $200 cleaning all the diesel fuel/exhaust off the car once he got it. I think it was Red Hill Trucking out of GA that got the bid.

There's more about how horrible this company was, but I won't get into any more at this time.

When my dad shipped his Ferrari from my house in Richmond to MA, it cost about twice as much ($1200 total) but two clean cut guys showed up with a duelly and an enclosed trailer and had it delivered 24hours later. This group came recommended from the dealership in NC.

You get what you pay for.

latony007

shipping

Im in the shipping business and I recommend you contact specialized transport to get a quote. I have had good luck with them for lots of different types of moves although no vehicles. No brokering it to bob the carrier like the uship thing. They do household goods as well as vehicles. Bikes they strap to a motorcycle pallet and wrap. I think they wanted around 4 something from TX to CA which is close to the same miles.