Sorry to hear it happened to you.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

efforex

I still catch myself... I double, triple check that I put the stand down... had a few times where I put it down, but it sprung up cause I didn't lock it hard... eh, not a big deal, if someone is going to drop her, might as well be you.

Funniest story, girl I ride with did that at a 7-eleven shortly after she started riding... she had two or three guys start walking up to "help her", being the strong assertive women she is... she reached down, grabbed the key, put her helmet on the bike and proceeded to walk towards the store, like she meant to just drop it.... said she should have just kicked it once for a good show. lol
I actually make sure that before i get off (made this a habit) I put the kickstand down to turn the bike off then i get off if the bikes running i dont get off in turn means i should never forget it but you never know :D

SpawnXX

Premium Member

redprodigy35

Sorry to hear about your low speed drop bud, I had a family member do the same the 2nd week I had my bike. Hehe, not much damage besides fairing scratches but oh was my ego bruised.

Props on getting the bike up first try though :thumbup:-- alot of people will upright their ride, just to have it fall over on the other side due to the stressful situation/not thinking out the lifting technique.
The proper way to do it is to prop your back up against the bike, and push off with your knees.

Funny I never have an issue with the kickstand when getting off. When getting on though, sometimes I'll coast down the driveway in neutral, and the stand is still down by accident... Kickstand catches, bam! Thankfully it hasn't gone down exactly like that for me when it did happen.

Chevyfazer

When I had my klr i had to adapt a new way of getting on and off the bike so my feet wouldn't drag and leave black marks all over the bike with it being pretty tall. With the kickstand down ill stand up in the pegs and then throw my leg over or off. It's impossible to do with out the kickstand down, and I've also started doing it on my fz to make sure I don't ever accidentally kick the side of it while getting off or on. Since the kickstand has to be down to get on or off this way it pretty much guarantees that you can't forget it either, so it might be something to try for you.

Hellgate

Whenever I buy a new bike I just hit the tank with a ball peen hammer and get it out of my system. After that everything else doesn't matter.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I'm a little superstitious, so I make a little scratch in the paint somewhere where NOBODY WILL EVER SEE IT just to get the first scratch over with and, in my superstitious brain, prevent another one from happening. I do this to keep my bike looking nice, however. If I didn't care how it looked I wouldn't bother hammering it or keying it; I would just let it get ruined as it comes.

0150r

I was stopped to close to someone when they had a kickstand problem. They tipped over and tried to hold on to me to stay up. We both went down and I got it on video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdz6k8dQbiY"]Motorcycle dominos - YouTube[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

0150r

Here's another kickstand [almost] fail...friend was about to lose her brand new CBR600RR. I tried to get off of my bike too quickly and put the kickstand down while still rolling. Stalled it and wasn't able to help.

The guy on the CBR1000RR posted the video a few months before me and has 300,000 views...wish I had that many for my videos :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-nO0lBKPME"]Girl Almost Drops 2011 CBR600RR - YouTube[/ame]

RoadRunner

I don't want to jinx myself since my FZ6 is only a month old but I've dropped every bike I've owned, some several times, one probably 8 or so times. The more you ride, the more you challenge yourself, the more you'll find yourself in situations where the bike needs a nap. Just pick it up and move on...nothing to see anyway. Scars are like badges of honor, my bikes have plenty. A drop is not a crash.....not to me anyways.

For the garage opener issue, we have these on all the sets of bike keys...
LiftMaster Garage Door Opener Three-Button 315 MHz Mini Remote Control model 370LM/956D - Amazon.com Saves us from having to move remotes around.