Monster Tail Bag

Roaddawg

For those of you (like me) that have to research the crap out of something before you buy it, here's a review of the black Monster Tail Bag by Frank Thomas Cargo line from Cycle Gear. It sells for $100 for the black and $50 for the camo. I bought the camo one (can't beat the price) and the same day, my wife bought me the black one (for my b-day). She got $25 off it, so I took the camo one back.

I needed a bag that was versatile and could hold a lot when needed. I've been looking at all types of bags and this one seemed to fit the bill. When in its normal state, its big enough to hold my wife's full face helmet, but the bags not too big. You can expand the top and probably fit in two helmets (to give you an idea of volume). The small side pockets also expand out, but don't go through into the main compartment. You could easily fit two pairs of winter gloves in one side pocket. (pic shows one pair of XL gloves). On one side, there are straps to carry the bag like a back pack. There is also a shoulder strap for carrying. On the bottom, there are bungees and straps with protective flaps to give you ways to strap it to the bike. It also comes with a rain cover and extra straps to strap things to the top loops. The divider inside is movable/removable also. I put on two iron-on reflective strips on the bag for better rear visibility. I don't have any pics with it on my bike yet, since I drove the company car home all last week and my bike's still at the work garage. I'll get some up this week and give a better review of it on the bike, riding after a week or two. Enjoy the pics. If you have any questions or want different pics, let me know.

Last edited:

FitZ6R

I've lived in apartments smaller than that bag.

Roaddawg

Alright. Finally got my bike back home today and put on the bag. I included some pics with the bag fully expanded and collapsed down. In the fully expanded, I have two full faced helmets stacked on top. The bag looks bigger in the pics than it does in real life. I'm very pleased with it as I need the capability to pack a lot at times. I really like the versatility of the bag. It has a large Velcro strap I strapped under the rear seat (keeps bag from 'walking off'). I then used the two connected bungees to wrap it around the rear tail. Its very secure and not going anywhere. If you don't use the strap under the seat and just the bungees, it takes seconds to remove. Hope this helps anyone looking for a good size travel bag.

TOM

Last edited:

Roaddawg

I'm still happy with this bag. It's a big bag that I've loaded up a few times this past week of commuting and have no issues with it. I've packed it full and heavy and it rode great. Not as nice as having some hard mounted bags, but since those options are very limited right now, this does just fine. If you need the storage carrying capability, this is it. And, like I said before, it looks really huge in the pics, but in person it looks good.

kma_jg

Thanks, Mate. Good to see a review of this type of bag.
I am also looking for a luggage option for my XJ6S. Also saw the big expandable bag, but would prefer the top boxes. I posted another thread on that, so won't repeat the details again.