Misdemeanor citiation for lack of insurance, but not my car?

Ivan_13

Long story short, I was pulled over while driving a car that wasn't mine. (It belonged to a relative) , and the car's registration was not up to date. And to make things worse, the car was not insured either. I had no idea either of those problems. I got a ticket for $925 I'm the mail. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do?

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

bmw675

By the book response: you are responsible for everything when you are driving. Sucks I know, some things you just assume to be good aren't.

What a judge might say: "these are your fines, but I'd suggest you try to recoup your money from the owner."
Around here, no proof of insurance is mandatory court appearance.

Curious, why did you get the citation in the mail and not on the site? I'm surprised they didn't impound it then and there.

Good luck.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

bloodypulp

La has more uninsured cars than anywhere else. A while back I stated about cars with orange stickers on them. The interstate is littered with them. A very dangerous place to ride.the state troopers take ur plate and stick big orange unremovable sticker. Cars sit there till all fines r paid.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Kdubb223

Try to fight it. But remember CA is broke... They want/need that $925

Ivan_13

here in in my town it would have been a trip to jail, inpound for the car, and the ticket fines would have been higher. seemes like he let you off pretty easy
Dang. Yeah, I got off waaaay easy. Working for the county 911 system has its perks. :cool:

But in other words, in regards to the fines, I'm pretty much screwed right?

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member