Mesh, textile, leather? what?

zcypher

So I've been shopping for gear, and I'm fairly sure that leather will be way too hot for me most of the time, as nice as it is. i will surely end up having at least one, just the same. but for now, i'm looking for the best all around jacket that i'll actually make the most use of, even when it's pretty hot out. but i want to sacrifice the least possible protection.

i noticed a lot of these cheaper mesh jackets only have elbow and shoulder protection - it's otherwise no different than pretty much any other regular jacket.

so, i've visited a few stores, and spent a bit of time online searching. the best value i've found so far that looks nice to me is the Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 at $143. That seems very reasonable, seems like a good jacket.

just how much protection are these jackets offering? if you ride in relatively hot conditions, what do you wear? open to any and all ideas, also if you are relatively tall (6ft or higher) and slim, what has been your experience?

blkbrd

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

I wear full leathers (2pce on road & 1pce track) all the time.
Even in temperatures up around 45C+

I prefer to sweat than bleed and I like where my skin is!

ATGATT baby

blkbrd

Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Grumpy

I wear perforated leather when on the highways even when it is hot out (90+ with humidity). But around town (35 - 40mph speed limits) I will wear a mesh jacket. I come from the sweat than bleed group as well. I will also were Bohns armor, armor over pants even around town.

If you can find it, I also have a Joe Rocket HEMP jacket that is rather nice. Not sure if you can still get them but HEMP is a very tuf material. O.k. now you can make jokes about the HEMP. :D

Fizzer6R

Bert-Aus

If it's too hot for gear, you have the wrong gear, same applies to cold, wet etc...
Adam makes a great point.
The cold can affect you just as bad as heat!
Not that I know cold like you snow dwelling region peeps,
But more than 10mins of windchill can affect sensible decision making

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

MattEnTheHat

As a poor college student who can barely afford his bike and gear, I own one jacket (perforated leather), which I wear every single time I ride. It gets up to about 105F at the hottest here, and it is still bearable. Like other people say, the perforated leather is not too bad when you're moving.
Aside from the jacket I always wear heavy jeans (I know, I know, but I seriously cannot afford pants right now), full height boots (at least that way my ankles are protected), full gauntlet gloves, and of course my helmet (Icon Airmada).
All of my gear is Bilt brand (aside from the helmet), and was very affordable. I will not claim that it is the best quality, but at least they have a good warranty. Some of the stitching around the cuff of my glove started to come out (purely aesthetic), so I took them in and got a free replacement, no hassle at all. I haven't crashed yet, so I can't really comment on my gear's performance in that regard, but I believe it will all hold up pretty well.

As for being tall and slim (I am 6'3", about 190 lbs), so I'm tall and not particularly slim, but not particularly large either. It was very, very hard to find an affordable jacket that fit correctly for me. There were plenty of $400+ really nice jackets that fit great (and someday I will own one...), but in the more affordable range they just are not built that way. I ended up just getting the size of jacket that fit snugly. Frankly, it is too short for me, but what can I do? Good luck with your hunt.

Oh and to conclude this massive post, this video might make you reconsider purchasing a textile jacket...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-PylOp2EB8&list=UUvtfT-xYX4Q-jC2Mbsk3OUA

latony007

a lot of guys will full suit up no matter how hot it is, that sucks all the fun out of the ride though so i dont do it. Bottom line is depending on where you live i guess you need multiple options. I have a thick leather with a removable liner i wear during the "winter" which is not really a winter here but im a wuss. then i got a mesh with removable liner for the summer. The Vega mesh was from Jafrum and has the thick armor and a backpad and was very reasonable around $75 on sale. The leather also armored was from leatherup and was around 200 i think. I try to always wear one but there has been a couple days recently where i went on my cruiser without any jacket but at least i wasnt in shorts and flip flops like a lot of guys you see around here right now

Chucker

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 4 and a Vega Merit mesh jacket. Both have CE elbows, shoulders, and back. I never wear my mesh jacket because the Atomic is fine in all temperatures above 5C. If you're a large, I can cut you a deal on my mesh jacket. It's a large and it's only been worn a few times.

I have full leathers for the track, but only wear them on the road when I'm going for a ride and I'm not going to stop anywhere before coming home.

Vega Merit mesh.JPG

sillysoviet

Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air Jacket.

Was little cold in 20-30 degree weather in March but in warm weather and hot weather does great. The jacket breathes quite well. I commute to work m-f in business clothes and don't sweat. Left and right sides are vented quite well.

Armor in the Shoulders, Chest, back and a solid piece of armor from the hands to around the elbows.

Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air Jacket

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IETN7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air Jacket - X-Large/Black: Automotive[/ame]

Bio armor back piece

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OHS40C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Alpinestars Bio Armor Men's Back Protector Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Body Armor - Black / Large: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

latony007

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 4 and a Vega Merit mesh jacket. Both have CE elbows, shoulders, and back. I never wear my mesh jacket because the Atomic is fine in all temperatures above 5C. If you're a large, I can cut you a deal on my mesh jacket. It's a large and it's only been worn a few times.

I have full leathers for the track, but only wear them on the road when I'm going for a ride and I'm not going to stop anywhere before coming home.

View attachment 32663
Thats the exact Vega i have, color and all. Its really a fantastic jacket for the price in my opinion.

Chucker

Thats the exact Vega i have, color and all. Its really a fantastic jacket for the price in my opinion.
I would agree if I got it for $75. I bought it when it was a new release in 2010. I think I paid $175, but I'm sure the fact I'm in Canada played a part.

latony007

adamo3957

Adam makes a great point.
The cold can affect you just as bad as heat!
Not that I know cold like you snow dwelling region peeps,
But more than 10mins of windchill can affect sensible decision making

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
On the cold front.

No gear @ 60mph (100kph)

Windchill at temperature (c-Celsius, f- Fahrenheit)

@ 5c (41f) windchill = -3c (26f)
@ 0c (32f) windchill = -10c (13f)

There's no one gear to rule them all, each environment requires the right gear. If there was one for all weather we'd all be wearing it....

So people remember that you will need one summer set of gear, and one winter set...