mcnam1rj's on-going extensive mirror mod

Deathdiesel

Some of the consumables I had laying around the house so I didn't have to buy everything, and some stuff that I did buy I only used a portion of. I rounded each amount to the closest dollar.

Covering stock mirror holes:
Two J-B Weld epoxy packages @ $6 each = $12
Colorrite.com primer/paint/clearcoat = $63 shipped
Sand paper = $3
Packing tape and painter's tape = negligible cost (only used a small portion of each roll)
Total = $78

1st setup:
Two Tusk mirrors @ $12 each = $24 shipped

4th setup:
Koso mirrors = $17 shipped
Threaded bar clamps = $6 shipped
Total = $23
With black im honstly surprised you were able to look near that good with a brush. Black is very very picky about thew slightest specs on paint.

I would love to fill my stock mirror holes, but god thats a lot of work, and I hate hate hate painting. Would have to have a professional do it, and that costs money. Otherwise though, last mirrors look best for sure. Glad how cheap they turned out too.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

pjmac5

Thank you. I got an OEM match from colorrite.com so it should be an exact match of the stock paint. But yeah, obviously with the way I painted it I'm glad it ended up matching as well as it did. I used very tiny brushes and the bristles kept separating which didn't provide for a smooth application. I was too impatient to go out and buy some better brushes so I had it comin' to me, haha.

I got a quote from a local collision shop to have that front panel repainted. They said they'd be able to match the black. They quoted me $90 and an extra $20 if I wanted them to shave down the hump that was left after epoxying over the holes. The hump is only a slight one on either side and doesn't bother much. $90 is lower than I thought it'd be to have it professionally done. I'm not sure what the quote would be if they had to cover up the holes AND paint it. Had I known it would have been that cheap I might have brought it to them in the first place since I spent near that much doing it myself. At least it ended up being a good learning experience though.
I think you can do this yourself and get a near professional result. I would commit to painting the entire nose piece using Colorrite spray paint (2 cans) and 2K Spraymax Clearcoat (1 can). Take down the epoxy a little with heavy grit and finish with Bondo filler. Be patient, sand (600 grit) and fill with Bondo several times until perfect, then wet sand the entire nose 1000 grit. Do not miss any spots. Paint and then Clearcoat within an hour of painting. let that dry for a few days, then wet sand gently with 2000 grit and buff with a fine compound. It will look beautiful and you will so proud you will rub it with a baby diaper everyday. Colorrite has great paint but it is expensive so if you look at the local O'reilly, you might be able to find a very close match. If you paint the entire nose, you can get away with a slight variation However, do not go cheap on the clearcoat 2k Spraymax.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member
Reactions: JT

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

pjmac5

damn, that is a lot of work haha. you're right i would be proud if i got it to come out looking good but since i already attempted it once, albeit amateur style, when i get it done next time i'll have a professional do it for the $90. or my friend's friend who's semi-professional at that stuff would prolly do it just for the cost of materials. the reason i have the hump there is because the plastic underneath the stock mirror boot isn't flat. there's a ridge there and the only way i could get a smooth finish is to create that hump. i didn't want to cut a chunk of the fairing off and risk cracking the fairing in places i wasn't going to be epoxying over. now that there is epoxy surrounding that ridge it would be a b%$*& trying to make that area completely flat.
Amazing how much work is required to fill a couple of holes!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member