Make stock exhaust louder?

new2yam

I've had my bike for less than a month and it may be a little while before I have $1500 or so to throw at a new exhaust and power commander. I'm ok with that - but riding a bike that sounds like a Prius scares the crap out of me. Anyone have any macgyver-esque tips to hold me through until I have the $$$?

ylwf3vr

I've had my bike for less than a month and it may be a little while before I have $1500 or so to throw at a new exhaust and power commander. I'm ok with that - but riding a bike that sounds like a Prius scares the crap out of me. Anyone have any macgyver-esque tips to hold me through until I have the $$$?
Well there is the 5-min mod. I did it and it sounds A LITTLE louder, but not much. I do agree that louder exhaust may get you noticed.. I was riding the other day and heard CBR with yoshi exhaust coming from a mile (ok little exaggerated) away and got in the far left side of the lane for him to get in to pass the cars. I did hear him before seeing him..

But cars with loud music playing, some with earphones in, cranked a/c won't really hear you since I don't think they pay attention to the road in the first place.

For now I just ride defensively making sure I'm seen with all my gear, sinals, and keeping away from possibly dangerous situations.

There's another mod here but I forgot what it's called.

new2yam

Well there is the 5-min mod. I did it and it sounds A LITTLE louder, but not much. I do agree that louder exhaust may get you noticed.. I was riding the other day and heard CBR with yoshi exhaust coming from a mile (ok little exaggerated) away and got in the far left side of the lane for him to get in to pass the cars. I did hear him before seeing him..

But cars with loud music playing, some with earphones in, cranked a/c won't really hear you since I don't think they pay attention to the road in the first place.

For now I just ride defensively making sure I'm seen with all my gear, sinals, and keeping away from possibly dangerous situations.

There's another mod here but I forgot what it's called.
Thanks buddy. I'm trying to do the same. I wear a neon yellow helmet with oil decals which is hard to miss. I added a new horn too. I just need something loud - seriously uncomfortable with this. LOVE the bike - but my Ninja 250 was louder. :eek:

abyss1406

mod exhaust. Cut a 2 1/2 inch hole in the tailpipe, weld on a tip of your choice and it becomes noticable loud but not over bearing. out the door cost should be around 50-100 bucks depending on your choice of tip and welder.

a-tomic

I did this Stock mode Exhaust and I am more than satisfied. Here's a short video of how it sounds though live even better :rockon:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKh_l8yK2E4]Yamaha XJ6SP Exhaust mode - YouTube[/ame]

Total cost $50 for oval tip(welding works included)

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

new2yam

mod exhaust. Cut a 2 1/2 inch hole in the tailpipe, weld on a tip of your choice and it becomes noticable loud but not over bearing. out the door cost should be around 50-100 bucks depending on your choice of tip and welder.
Thanks! Humor me with an example of a good tip?

Last edited:

abyss1406

Ive got a jardine slash cut thats a 2 inlet to a 3 inch outlet that i like. Ill post pictures later. you can always go to autozone and pick up a chrome tip