Make lane splitting legal!

2wheelie

I visited CA back in December due a SQL Cluster Project I had.

I was driving the rent car, going early to my office there, and barely saw someone (a rider of course) sharing the lane with me. I swear God I was not going to block him or something, but because traffic jam in front of me, seconds before I thought in changing lane and move left.
If you were ready to change lanes, it means that no cars were in the left lane next to you, right? If so, the rider either had to move into the gap opened next to you (and therefore you'll see him there and stay put), or be prepared that you can move over, and therefore not passing you until situation resolves.

Detrich

Freeway drivers here in LA, on average, are actually pretty damned good when it comes to lane sharing with bikes. When I split Id say 8 out of 10 cars will move to the side of the lane to let me pass. I try to give them a peace sign or thumbs up if I can do so safely. :)

Exceptions? Well, yah- there always are some... :(

Most notably to me are soccer moms in their mini vans & SUV's, ppl who drive big ass trucks, and yes- friggen Prius drivers, of all ppl... x.X

Soccer moms are late picking up their kids, and they'd care less if they ran someone else's dad, mom, brother, sister, son, or daughter into a ditch doing it. It's ironic, but true.

Big truck drivers are just ego maniacs. they feel that they own the road b'cuz they're so big. They can squash us like a fly and they don't care to make sure we know it. They won't make room for anyone.

Prius drivers are just a new breed of snooty elitist crazy drivers, who drive like soccer moms, but act like they are privileged environmentalists. (Good grief.). Whenever I see a rude small passenger car, it never fails to be a white Prius cutting ppl off or speeding, driven by some angry white middle aged female. LOL

Last edited:

Roaddawg

Prius drivers are just a new breed of snooty elitist crazy drivers, who drive like soccer moms, but act like they are privileged environmentalists. (Good grief.). Whenever I see a rude small passenger car, it never fails to be a white Prius cutting ppl off or speeding, driven by some angry white middle aged female. LOL
So true! You nailed it. I feel the same way about Prius drivers.

Botty12

The entire world (well, minus the copycat Canada) allow lane splitting.
Dude...it's not illegal in Ontario. It's just recommended to "not do it". Illegal stuff the Ministry of Transportation clearly states is against the law/illegal with consequences.

Dunno about Nunavut though. Could very well be illegal there ;)

Not saying I do it. I don't feel comfortable enough. I get side swiped on my bicycle in a bicycle lane so I don't even know what people would do with a motorcycle riding the lines.

Fenixgoon

i think lane splitting to get to the front of a traffic light when it's red, or in bumper-to-bumper traffic would be reasonably safe (especially the former). i dont know that i'd trust other motorists enough to do it at speed.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

BoneJj

In the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) we have some of the worst traffic in the country... we also have insane numbers of traffic accidents and uninsured motorist. I've been hit and injured for life by someone without insurance who fled from the accident... but that's another story.

Getting motorcycles (and our scooterists, who are growing exponentially every day) to the front of traffic at red lights can only be a good thing. Too many bikes are hit by cars who "didn't see them."
I honestly don't miss the traffic up there.... lmao.

BoneJj

Believe it or not, even with the new highways, it's getting worse!
It can honestly get worse? LMAO

There are so many people from different areas of the US that move to VA for work and the people that follow them. It makes for a really lousy traffic situation. It's hilarious to see what people do when even the slightest bit of snow touches the ground around there. They go nuts and people are all over the ditches like a SOB. It's so hilarious to watch.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

Someone put this together to educate CA drivers.
what's with the bad code at the top of the page?
got to love it when after you fill out the details to sign the petition they want you to "sign" petitions for "stopping gun violence", yeah, I hit the big skip key several times...
I wish PA would make lane splitting legal. I just looked up on Google to see if PA had any sort of petition to legalize lane splitting and to no surprise there isn't one. :mad:
Start one up....

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member