Lowering the bike for clip-ons.

Hethrir

So i recently was given a pair of the woodcraft clip-ons as a birthday present (gotta love having a motorcycle enthusiast family!). However, im a little wary of lowering the bike the 1.5" to accommodate the bracket for them. I already have the bike lowered a half inch, so an additional inch doesnt seem like much but... yea. Does anyone have any advice? i know others have done the woodcraft clip-ons but is there anything else that needs to go along with it such as stronger shocks or something? im not a mechanically inclined person, which is why im asking!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

6R Blackout

I have Apex clip ons and I dropped mine 2". The only thing is if you hit a pot hole the fender may bottom out on the bottom of the light cause it happend to me the other day but nothing broke cause I wasn't going fast. When you lower it it will want to fall into turns more, such as a supersport. I eventually want to put heavier fork oil and springs. The factory springs and oil are soft and spongy to me anyway. You will be ok at 2", but you will be leaning over and at a more aggressive posture. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350073904.608435.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350073928.875838.jpg here are two pics just to give you an idea! PM me if you need more help or have questions! I will try to help you any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

Hethrir

Would putting in a thicker fork oil help reduce the travel? If so, how much would I expect to pay to have that done? And would doing that help mediate the effects of lowering the bike?

Kdubb223

I have had my WoodCraft clip ons for few hundred miles now, no issues being 1.75 in lower.

Just make sure to have the horn angled up as much as possible so if the front end bottoms out in a pothole you wont dent the front fender! I have my horn angled up and still managed to get a tiny dent from the horn impacting the fender but that was my fault going too fast over a sharp speed bump.

No idea how much it would cost, I did the clip ons and lowering myself, which was a pain in the ass but the end result was worth the effort.

6R Blackout

Would putting in a thicker fork oil help reduce the travel? If so, how much would I expect to pay to have that done? And would doing that help mediate the effects of lowering the bike?
yes but not by much bigger springs and fork oil would be best, not sure how much it would be to have someone do it for you if i had to guess it would be pretty high of a price.

Deathdiesel

Like others have said, lowering 1.5 will be fine, looks great too. Anything more though I cannot reccomend, youll bottom out your shocks even if you do remove the horn bracket. Thats if you brake and hit any kind of bump at all.