Lowered and Lost my cushy ride

rregal

I lowered the front forks 1 7/8" to install my Woodcraft Clipons. I installed the Soupy Lowering Link and TRex Kickstand. Everything installed easy with the use of a Harbor Freight ATV lift and rear stand. The bike seems to handle fine. Turns, braking and acceleration all good. The front end handles the speed bumps in my parking at 30 mph great just as it did before. I do however feel the small bumps in road more in the seat area at highway speeds (40-60 mph). Is this a normal side effect from the lowering link? Any suggestions?

applejax

You have to remember that the suspension is set up for the bike at stock height.

So you might lose stability over having the lowered bike.

I don't even know why you want it to be that low, I bottom out at 1.5 inches.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

applejax

1 7/8" might be a little strong. I ran 1 1/4" drop on my front fork with the lowering link, that was plenty enough. It was very close to bottom out... so if Applejax said 1 1/2" bottom out I'll believe it.
On about 97% of the speed bumps I cross, my exhaust hits and with about 25% of the raised pavement into parking lots, my horn hits the fender. :-(

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

applejax

I could fix 97% of your problem! LOL

I change the position of the horn. I bolted it a little higher kind of behind the headlight. Anywhere you can find a solid ground...
When i strip her back down during winter break, i have to move the horn.

As for that 97% problem, im not giving up my two brothers exhaust :p

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

I'm on a motorcycle! I go AROUND the speed bumps, LOL. I know, I know, it's not always possible. Couldn't help but make the comment though! :D
I really hate the big speed bumps on the campuses. They are just excessively large and pointless and in order to go around them you have to ride in a small cement mini ditch type thing that can be a bit of a pain to make sure that you don't go over that into the grass so for me I just go over the speed bumps in some spots.

But for the most part I do go around them as well. LOL, I love to see the look on some peoples faces when I go around them. Like they are upset that I don't have to ride over them.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

rregal

Lowering

From my preliminary research on the forum for this mod the first thing I did in my lowering project was to raise the horn and I have not experience a bottom out. Stability seems to be as good or better. What I am experiencing is an increase in the feel of small bump transmissions from the rear shock, It is as though I moved closer to a sport car suspension and away from luxury car ride. Overall I really like the modification. I next plan on experimenting with the SAG and rebound next.

0150r

Have you had any good results adjusting the sag and rebound?

I'm looking at lowering the rear of my bike to match the front that was lowered for clip ons. With just the front lowered, I end up sitting too close to the tank. I don't need to lower it in order to get my feet down, just tired of having my 'good parts' crammed up against the tank. I don't want to be bottoming out or dragging parts because of it though.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

rregal

Actually I found the problem to be the Chain. I was re-reading the threads on the mod and one senior member had mentioned you have to adjust the chain slack after putting in the lowering link. I looked at mine and it was as tight as a bowstring. So sharp shock waves were being sent to my butt when going over little road bumps. On big bumps like speed bumps the shock handled them as normal. Losening the chain should be one of the first steps in the mod because it will make re-positioning the shock easier. I was very lucky to discover this before something broke. I am very satisfied with this mod and feel it was worth the money invested.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member