Lower gear whining

Anakai559

Hello I had a quick questions. Im new to bike and my first bike, Recently bought my bike a month ago has only 140miles on. I was wondering is it normal when on lower gear it makes a whining noise from the transmission? It makes that noise every gear when let go of throttle and release clutch lever. Let me know because it's my first time riding so have no idea. Thanks

Last edited:

Roaddawg

Im not sure where it's coming from but I think it is the chain. I heard some guy say on YouTube that The fz6r chain make a loud noise. Is it normal?
Yes and no. Make sure its adjusted properly (alignment and tension) and also make sure its lubed regularly. It still make quite a bit of noise, because its a chain. Also, there is a chain guide right before the front sprocket that the chain rolls over. That's probably where your hearing the whine sound from. As long as everything is adjusted and lubed, it's normal.

Anakai559

Thanks for the tips I appreciated, it's nearly new haven't washed it or got water on the chain. When I first ride on it it was 2.2miles and it's already making that noise, now it has 150miles on it. Does your make that noise too? Thanks again

MikeN02

Hello I had a quick questions. Im new to bike and my first bike, Recently bought my bike a month ago has only 140miles on. I was wondering is it normal when on lower gear it makes a whining noise from the transmission? It makes that noise every gear when let go of throttle and release clutch lever. Let me know because it's my first time riding so have no idea. Thanks
Yeah he said he got it a month ago, and only 140 miles on it... there should be plenty of lube on the chain and it should have the right slack if the dealer did it correctly, listen to the story man!
I think I may have found something, now how fast are you going in these lower gears?

I'd say if you're doing about 5, 10mph while in 3rd, 4th 5th etc of course you're going to hear a little grinding sound. It'll be louder if you do this on a carb bike.

What's happening is that gear can't keep up with that slow speed, each gear kind of has a "speed bracket" is what I like to call it. Such as first gear can only handle about 50 mph until it redlines and you have to shift. Now if you're going 80ish and try to downshift all the way to first, you're going to have a tank slapper. Because first gear can't handle that speed.

Same thing when going slow, until you reach about 20 mph then the gear will catch.

Anakai559

Thanks MikeN02 And the rest of you who responded that's some useful info. Now I see why it's why it does that. I was curious about that's all and make sure it's okay (normal)

Last edited:

MikeN02

Thanks MikeN02 And the rest of you who responded that's some useful info. Now I see why it's why it does that. I was curious about that's all and make sure it's okay (normal)
Yeah no problem, I had the pleasure of doing it myself and lets just say it scared the crap out of me (the higher speed in lower gear one as I was downshifting in a turn and tank slapped myself).

Also grind the gears like that on my first bike which was a carb (Ninja EX500)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member