Loud Pipes

FZ6Rob85

Read this article today and it brings me to my question...knowing a lot of riders here have aftermarket exhausts, how many of you have had conflicts with neighbors or police regarding your pipes? At what point does the old mantra "loud pipes save lives" become "loud pipes risk rights?"

Reading down through the comments...a lot of these people have some major animosity towards bikers as a whole now because a neighbor or two had a bike with loud pipes. Could the old saying be working against us, creating more animosity among neighbors and cagers than increasing cagers' awareness of us?

Neighbor's Noisy Motorcycle: What Would You Do?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

0150r

I haven't had any complaints about my TBR with the P1 tip installed. It did keep me from being taken out yesterday though. Woman talking on cell phone decided not to use mirrors or turn her head to look started making a lane change right into me. A quick roar of my exhaust scared the pants off of her.

I don't rev my engine in my apartment complex, I usually idle out of the parking lot because I leave for work at 6:30am.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

travisH3

Between my quad with full hmf exhaust, my diesel truck with 5" turbo back straight pipe, and my new exhaust on my bike I haven't had any complaints. I don't live in apartments or town houses though. Everyone around me has Atleast an acre or two. A few people have told me the viper with db killer installed is just right, not too loud and not too quiet, I haven't taken the db killer out though to see how much it changes.

Like people have mentioned, be courteous pulling out at 6 or so in the morning and as long as your not revving it up coming home or leaving you will be fine. Keep rpms low and you shouldn't bother anyone.

Dustin600

The first 6,000 miles on my bike were with the stock exhaust. My driving habits never changed after installing my Two Bros Exhaust but the way people viewed my driving habits did. It was immediately obvious that some other drivers saw me as an aggressive driver because my exhaust was louder. I guess to others if it's loud it must be going too fast. I've been told to slow down when I was doing the speed limit.

I have also learned that I get a better reaction if I rev my engine than if I blow the horn.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

danieljardim

Read this article today and it brings me to my question...knowing a lot of riders here have aftermarket exhausts, how many of you have had conflicts with neighbors or police regarding your pipes? At what point does the old mantra "loud pipes save lives" become "loud pipes risk rights?"

Reading down through the comments...a lot of these people have some major animosity towards bikers as a whole now because a neighbor or two had a bike with loud pipes. Could the old saying be working against us, creating more animosity among neighbors and cagers than increasing cagers' awareness of us?

Neighbor's Noisy Motorcycle: What Would You Do?
The only person so far that complained about my TBR was my wife.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Alex6

Don't turn into this guy:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHUgvq1oK3c&feature=share]A so-called real biker gives a new biker some tips - YouTube[/ame]

bobby bo bonsin

Thats hilarious!

Hello my real name is Adam.

bobby bo bonsin

i live in a crowded area and i have a Subaru with straight pipes, my bike with a tbr and the tip removed, a 5.3L v8 truck with straight pipes, and three quads with over 100db exhaust pipes on them that i ride around my .2 acres once in a blue moon.... never one complaint nore police report

and i take off on my bike almost every day at 6-630am
Trust me no one wants to hear the v8 truck with straight pipes. Thats the dumbest trend ive ever seen or heard. They are all over the place down here and they sound like garbage. If your a young guy down here and think your cool then you drive a jacked up truck with straight pipes with a wip antenna with a tennis ball on it. I just dont get it. Sorry perdurable no offense im not saying your one of those guys.

Chevyfazer

Trust me no one wants to hear the v8 truck with straight pipes. Thats the dumbest trend ive ever seen or heard. They are all over the place down here and they sound like garbage. If your a young guy down here and think your cool then you drive a jacked up truck with straight pipes with a wip antenna with a tennis ball on it. I just dont get it. Sorry perdurable no offense im not saying your one of those guys.

I love the sound of a straight pipe V8, a lot of people do. It's not for everyone but if no one liked it then why are there so many out there lol

Brock Kickass

My bike has a horn. It gets people's attention more effective than my Yoshi-R77. I like the tone of my exhaust, but I am a little self-conscious of it in town and when I'm warming my bike up in the morning, and the Yosh system is one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts for my bike.
I used to live in a really scenic little village (10 buildings and a 4-way stop sort of thing) and my wife and I used to get driven nuts by guys on Harleys with drag pipes making a racket. It's obnoxious. We couldn't even carry on a conversation across our table inside our house if it was a big group.
I don't mind a nice aftermarket exhaust on a car, truck, boat, or bike, but people with stupidly loud exhausts can kiss my ass. There's no point.
Loud pipes save lives? First of all, use a horn. If you don't think your horn is adequate, get a louder horn. Second of all, most times I see a "loud pipes save lives" sticker, it's on some tank of a bike with a big fat slob with no gear riding it. Gear saves lives, too. Gear, signals, mirrors, and horns save way more lives that stupid drag pipes. Makes me want to set off a car alarm in their yard for an hour so they can see what it's like.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

bobby bo bonsin

I love the sound of a straight pipe V8, a lot of people do. It's not for everyone but if no one liked it then why are there so many out there lol
Ihave no idea!! Yeah i love the sound of a healthy small block with headers and a nice exhaust system. But straight piping? Im sorry that doesnt sound healthy or good just loud. I will never understand that one sorry. Kinda the same way i think harleys sound like shit. I just dont get it. Guess i dont have to?:confused:

Chevyfazer

A lot of it depends on how it is straight piped. Most of the ones that sound like shit either have no cross over (X-pipe, H-pipe, etc) or have huge tips which IMO ruin the sound. But a good setup, shorty headers going into a X-pipe and depending on the motor running 2"-3" pipe out the back with no tip sounds like heaven. But with no cross over they more often than no sound like 2 4bangers fighting each other lol

bobby bo bonsin

Yeah i gotcha. The ones im mainly talking about are the ones with stock manifolds with huge exhaust outlets. Sounds like a rolling turd.