loose chain?

Anakai559

i was riding home today from work and i hear this small chattering noise when riding next to the center curb on the left lane. i stop to check and seems like the on top section of chain, inner side of the chain is rubbing the plastic piece. Does this mean that the chain is loose? also i put around 650mi on it and i bought it brand new. what can happen if the chain is loose like that. i want to do the 600mi inspection but getting pay next week. please advise thanks.

Superfly

The top of the chain will always ride on the plastic slider. The tension is checked by seeing the slack on the bottom part of the chain about midway between sprockets. You should have about 2" of travel top to bottom when you push up and down on the chain...not sure what the book says exactly but you can find the exact setting in there. You dont want it too tight mind you because as you get deeper into the rear suspension stroke your chain tightens. If you hit large bumps the tight chain will in effect lock your suspension travel...thats not good for the ride, tire life, or the chain. Get your dealer to show you during the inspection ;)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member