Looking to buy a white 09 FZ6R tomorrow

ajkewler

Hi everyone, been doing a little bit of research and was hoping to get some insights from the FZ6R community. My g/f will be buying the bike and I just had a few concerns after reading several articles about the bike. Well first of all she's looking to upgrade from a ninja 250R. Her complaint about that bike was that it was just a little too sluggish and she wanted something a bit more responsive on the freeway.

We sat on the FZ6R today and loves the seating position and the color. I've been trying to find what people experience when riding, such as starting out from a stopped position. I'm sure that the FZ6R would be faster than the 250R but how much faster would it be? I started on a 08 r6 myself and I thought that bike was already more then enough power than I would ever need, the only thing I didn't like on that bike was the seat height and the fact that the mirrors were almost completely useless.

From what I've read about the FZ6R its everything that she would ever want in a bike but just wanted to get a few impressions from people who have already ridden it. Also if I could ask, how much did everyone pay for theirs out the door? The dealer I'm looking to buy it from offered 7100 otd while another dealer a few more miles north said he could do 6999 for a 09. Does that sound reasonable for a new 09 white FZ6R? Any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

MDRaven0223

I think she'll find this bike better that she expected. Take some time and look at other posts but I have never heard someone use the term sluggish with this bike! The only real complaint you'll hear are about mirrors, fender and lights; all cosmetic.

As for power / speed, my last motorcycle was a 1995 GPZ1100 which could haul a** and I have no complaints about the FZ6R. The 1100 was faster but a lot heavier. The FZ6R has plenty of go.

I paid $7500 out the door (tax, tag, title) last July but I have seem some people on this forum that have paid less than what you were quoted but think that price is reasonable. I'm sure location plays into it a little.

fz6rwolf

Sounds about right on price. Having good low-midrange torque this bike will definately go from a stop much better than the 250ninja. The mirrors shouldn't be a problem since she probably doesn't have wide shoulders (I have seen better mirror view though). Coming from a vtx1300 this bike has close to same hp as the more than twice size engine of that one though down some on torque. She should feel very comfortable on the FZ6R as it's very user friendly. Of course in flat out speed wouldn't hold a candle to your R1 but everyday riding and even in the curves she'll keep up with you pretty well (sure do wish my gf rode, that would be great). She made a good choice and should be a happy camper for a good many years:thumbup:

ajkewler

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm sure she'll be happy with the bike, funny thing is I having a hard time sleeping in anticipation of picking up the FZ6R. Indeed she has a tiny frame and only weighs about 115 lbs so I think she'll be okay with the stock mirrors.

milepig

February '10 we bought my wife a '09 Raven with zero miles (well, ok 1 mile), paid $6,300 otd.

Mart Man FZ6R

Had my bike for exactly 2 weeks now and got it brand new ('09) for $6200 OTD. Malott's Honda in Manteca CA. They had a yellow and white one still in stock when I bought my Yamaha Blue. They also had a new '09 FZ6 in cobalt blue they would sell for $6500 OTD.

As for riding, she'll love the bike. I"ve been riding on the street for better than 36 years and this is my 24th bike. I've had a little bit of everything but mostly bike over 1 liter and while not as fast on the top end, plenty of power in the low / mid range to keep me happy. Last year I had two '07 FZ6's, a red and a blue, which I sold to buy my house. I was tempted to get the blue FZ6 they had since I knew I would like the bike, but went with the FZ6R mostly because I liked the looks. So far, I haven't been dissapointed at all. This has turned out to be one of the best all around bikes I've owned.

Hope this helps.

TOMIK

Excellent choice, she will be happy with this bike, very easy to handle and planty of power, plus looks great, I'm 51 yer old and bout this byke so I can go riding in weeekends with my 18 yr old son, bought it 3 weeks ago for $5500. 2009 black rav. they have $500. rebate on o9 now so I would say dont pay over $6000. Good luck and have fun.

owldaddy

Hey Mart Man, I got the other blue one at Mallots 2 weeks ago, the yellow one was going out to be serviced when I picked mine up, it had been sold. Only the white one was left. I only live a few miles from you, if you want to ride sometime me send me a message. The foothills are calling......

Mart Man FZ6R

Hey Mart Man, I got the other blue one at Mallots 2 weeks ago, the yellow one was going out to be serviced when I picked mine up, it had been sold. Only the white one was left. I only live a few miles from you, if you want to ride sometime me send me a message. The foothills are calling......
Sounds good on the riding thing. I talked to the sales manager at East Bay Motorsports and told him about the price I was quoted by Mallot's. He said at $6200 OTD, it was a $671 looser for the dealership. Told him I didn't care, I just wanted the best deal I could find.

Did you buy the blue FZ6? I didn't see another blue FZ6R unless they had it out back. Bought mine from Brad. Pretty nice guy to talk with.

NYGirl

she will love this bike.. it's very controllable for a beginner yet has more power than the 250 - good when you need it, aka the other day I pulled out when I thought a bus was turning and it didn't - I hit the gas and my FZ6R got me outta there safely. I too bought the white one. 6700 OTD here in NY. I can imagine it might be more in CA due to your emission control laws. Good luck, have fun, be safe!

ajkewler

We just picked it up, got the 09 white for 6700 OTD. I ordered the asv clutch lever and having them deliver a set of intuitive no cut frame sliders. We just put on about 80 miles on it to set in the springs, going to put another 60ish miles in 1-2 hours.

Plan is to get some lower links, from what I've seen on this forum roaring toyz is a good choice with the kick stand.