Looking for some upgrade advice

swatguy

Little background........been riding dirt for 20 yrs on trails. Rode street for long time about 15 yrs ago then took break. Got into it again and picked up the FZ6R it has been an awesome bike for me.

I use the bike 90% to/from work. I drive odd hours and its all highway for 60+ miles one way with next to zero traffic. I think I have taken the FZ6R to its limits on the highway. When I bought th FZ6R my commute was half of that and on city streets so would never able to "open" it up. I liked the upright style the FZ6R offered in traffic on the city streets I was looking for something that would be nimble have decent mpg's and still have sporty look and feel at that time. However that upright position now with all the hwy miles catches some air even with my Puig on there.

I am trying to decide if I should jump all the way to the R1 now with the current situation. I am confident enough for sure with my abilities to handle the bike. This is going to sound assinine I know.......... but I am looking for the one that will have better mpgs in my riding range. I ride around 85mph on the hwy. I was able to avg mid 40's all day on the FZ6R when I kept it under 80 however like I said I am getting up there in the mph's.... have 18k miles on the FZ6R so the mpg's will add up. The other thing is the huge gap in insurance for either bike here in the city. The R1 is double the R6. I really wish there was an R8 or an FZ8R,,,,I am just not fan of the FZ8 at all. I want a full faired bike.

I am looking at 06-09 R6's and R1's. I have found the 08 6's seem to be highly regarded. Any input wold be greatly appreciated. Any major differences in model years? Thanks ahead of time.

stevet

Go plus 1 tooth on the front sprocket. It will lower your rpms and save gas at 85mph. You already know the answer to whether the R1 gets as good gas mileage as the 6r. Also as you noted there is a big difference in insurance. You can get a Cee Bailey windshield for it which will greatly decrease the wind on your body. Mine was too large so I started cutting it down incrementally til it was just right for me. Be careful if you do go the windshield cutting route because you can break it.

dcBear78

Are you aware there are other brands of bikes that might suit your needs perfectly? Or just an absolute Yamaha fanboy and wont look elsewhere?

Triumph 675R Daytona and GSXR750 are the first two options that come to mind that would probably fit your needs.

Detrich

He doesn't want an upright bike cuz of the wind, so forget the FZ6, FZ8, or FZ1... I agree that the wind causes more wind chill on upright bikes- ESP on ur hands on a cold day. (on a SS the front cowl shields the hands a bit.)

I think for commuting u should look at the R1... Its fast, mid-weight, and with a SS riding position. Just make sure you have a good back. lol. The riding position is not bad at all once u get used to it...

The R6 is prolly not ideal for u, because it lacks a but of low end torque and might be more tiring as a "commuter" bike. U have to keep the rpms up to get it moving. But, otherwise, it is a fantastic bike for canyons- light and powerful if u keep the rpms in the upper band > 6000). Lotsa fun too.

For commuting tho, I'd say you'll be happier with an R1...

yfz6r

An r1 will be fine if you find it comfortable for that long of ride everyday.
You will need to respect that bike and not let it get away from you.

Also, +1 on the fz1. Also look into the 2011 ninja 1000

swatguy

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Really appreciate it. The bike show is coming up here and I will hopefully be making my decision then. Again appreciate it and will keep you posted on the results. While I don't post here very often this site has given me so much info on my current bike and future bike.

swatguy

So my dealer called. Said they can get their hands on a brand new crated. 09 R6S in team blue.............said 6900 plus tax freight prep. Think that's a fair price? While I know slightly used is better deal this seems reasonable at first glance.

The mpgs weren't a huge factor as I know I am getting in performance oriented machines. However I just don't want to be seeing low 30's. Want to be as close to 40's as possible

As to the Yammie fanboy.......Triumphs are next to nowhere here especially usedused. Dealer is only one around for miles. I was not treated too kindly in their shop. Told me come back when I had deposit in hand and they would talk more. My garage has 4 Tammie dirt rides already. As far as FAX. The only other mfg I am not fan of. Just don't like the looks compared tobother similar bikes. Their front end just leaves me wanting more. I know I am being picky here, but it is what it is. I checked into. CBR 600Rr and that along with zx6r is the com at this point.

Fizzer6R

if you use the bike 90% to/from work, then I wouldn't be looking at a sportbike like any flavor R6 or R1. considering you really want full fairing narrows it down alot, unless you take something like an FZ1 and buy an aftermarket lower fairing for it. personally I don't like the looks, because it does look like an afterthought and not factory.

guess it comes down to insurance, and maybe budget. the new ninja 1000 sounds like it would fit your needs. i love the way it looks.

for me I'd be trying to get more cc's than 600 for highway "sport-touring". how about gsx1250? FJR1300? VFR800?

given a blank check I'd be sporting a VFR 1200, or an older aprilia, BMW or ducati Tourer

Last edited:

Hellgate

So my dealer called. Said they can get their hands on a brand new crated. 09 R6S in team blue.............said 6900 plus tax freight prep. Think that's a fair price? While I know slightly used is better deal this seems reasonable at first glance.

The mpgs weren't a huge factor as I know I am getting in performance oriented machines. However I just don't want to be seeing low 30's. Want to be as close to 40's as possible

As to the Yammie fanboy.......Triumphs are next to nowhere here especially usedused. Dealer is only one around for miles. I was not treated too kindly in their shop. Told me come back when I had deposit in hand and they would talk more. My garage has 4 Tammie dirt rides already. As far as FAX. The only other mfg I am not fan of. Just don't like the looks compared tobother similar bikes. Their front end just leaves me wanting more. I know I am being picky here, but it is what it is. I checked into. CBR 600Rr and that along with zx6r is the com at this point.
An R6S is a killer bike! Good find, seems like a fair price, depends on how much they want for prep, shipping etal. Check Cycle Trader to compare prices. Its got a great motor, a very good suspension and there is TONS of aftermarket for it. It sounds to me like it fits your needs.

renniks65

instead of going with a new bike, have you considered going +1 up front (offering higher end speed) and changing the bars to clip ons (to lower the resistance)? i think this can be done for a couple of hundred bucks or less

Vulpine

Adding clip ons helps tremendously with the wind. I commute 60+ miles to work. 90% of the travel is Interstate, so the wind was a factor for me as well. Clip ons tuck you in nicely.

RoadTrip

I would do the R6S over the R1, everyone I have spoken with says the R1 gets really hot on the seat due to the underseat exhaust. Also, liter bikes are really a handful from my understanding, you have to stay on rear wheel slip patrol constantly - everything is more expensive, insurance, rear tires (190's), rear tire wear, sprocket wear, chain wear. Plus, once you go liter, you typically don't go back, you get used to the easy non-necessary shifting mountain of torque.

If it is just a city / commuter bike, then maybe it makes sense, but a liter bike in the twisties can actually hurt the fun a bit, unless you are good enough to manage power wheelies on turn exits and occasional rear wheel slips. A 600 allows you to be more aggressive without as much worry, I would rather feel like a pro on a 600 than a scaredy cat on a liter. Of course, the 2012 R1 along with other liter bikes are adding all kinds of wheelie and traction controls, personally I am not a fan of electronic controls, though.

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

If I were you I would be looking more into the fz1 or the fjr1300, you wouldn't have the same sporty feeling on the Fjr but you would be a whole lot more comfortable with the miles you ride and can still have a lot of fun, and would defiantly go for the fz1 over the r1 since its primarily a commuter bike, it seems like that would be the best Yamaha bike to fit your needs if you can get over the half faired look.

swatguy

Thanks for the info guys. I did end up finding my next bike. Came across a deal I couldnt pass up on a local 2007 Candy Red/Maroon R6S with only 2k miles on it. Youngster bought it when his dad went to the Harley dealership and rode it very little with his dad. It was all stock except a fender eliminator and looked like it was sitting on the showroom it was so clean. Picked it up for 4600. I will be keeping my wifes matching FZ6R and and selling mine so will still have one at my disposal to compare. In the event the R6S doesn't work out, I still may also have mine if it doesn't sell before I get to take the R6S to the streets. Everything I have read and found about it, the R6S is the minor switch I think that I am looking for. I really wanted to try a more tucked in ride for my e-way adventuresas well as a bike with a little more top end grunt. As much as the FZ1 kept coming into my head, I just had to give the R6S a try. I have always loved the look of that stye R6 as well. The newer R6 transformer front end really doesn't do it for me, but I do love the lines of the newer side view. In the event The r6S isn't what I hoped for I think I got it for a good enough price I should have no problem selling it in its mint condition.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Thanks for the info guys. I did end up finding my next bike. Came across a deal I couldnt pass up on a local 2007 Candy Red/Maroon R6S with only 2k miles on it. Youngster bought it when his dad went to the Harley dealership and rode it very little with his dad. It was all stock except a fender eliminator and looked like it was sitting on the showroom it was so clean. Picked it up for 4600. I will be keeping my wifes matching FZ6R and and selling mine so will still have one at my disposal to compare. In the event the R6S doesn't work out, I still may also have mine if it doesn't sell before I get to take the R6S to the streets. Everything I have read and found about it, the R6S is the minor switch I think that I am looking for. I really wanted to try a more tucked in ride for my e-way adventuresas well as a bike with a little more top end grunt. As much as the FZ1 kept coming into my head, I just had to give the R6S a try. I have always loved the look of that stye R6 as well. The newer R6 transformer front end really doesn't do it for me, but I do love the lines of the newer side view. In the event The r6S isn't what I hoped for I think I got it for a good enough price I should have no problem selling it in its mint condition.
post up some pics!

finnbog

I have been driving an fj1200 sport touring for a year.
Not many bikes faster or Tougher. Great on long drives, lots of storage.
But it is heavy for down town use