Looking for a third bike for the stable.

WynPro

Greetings all,

Just a little background to start out with while I sip my glass of wine, a 2007 Lancerre white from France. My first bike is a XR650 Dual sport new back in 2005 and she still sits in the garage. The wife dindn't like me taking off for days at a time and leaving her at the homestead after too long. She couldn't do more than an hr. 2 up on the XR. Well the second year rolled around and she wasn't haven anything to do with me taking off again for days at a time another season. Soooooooo I went out and purchased an FJR1300 sport tourer. I have over 36,000 miles on the beast riding to Quebec canada, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire,Tennessee, Maine and just about all over New England taking 2 Up trips.
Now you ask what the hell am I doing on an FZ6R forum? I am looking for another M/C to add to fold. Something more sporty to do 1 up street riding that is somewhat comfortable to go 200 to 300 miles in a day. I love my feejer but I think there is something in between the dual sport and FJR1300.
The feejer is one hell of a bike and can cruise all day long at 90+ MPH and will get me where I want to go without skipping a beat 2 up. What I am looking for is something to toss around the twisties which is lighter and has some good response when wackin the throttle. I don't really want to spend the $$$ on BMW1000RR.

What say you?

Dave

Detrich

welcome, and i think u've come to the right place :)

the fz6r just might be the bike that fills gaps in-between your other two. it's sporty yet still has a qualities that make it a decent touring bike as well. many members on our forum have done long trips with it, and they've said it's faired extremely well.

let everyone know if u have any specific questions and they'll be able to chime in and help give u more specific feedback.

sammy56

While I do love my FZ6R, you already have a sport tourer and I really feel the FZ6R is just a smaller sport tourer, but just my humble opinion.
If I were you I would definitely check out Triumph Street Triple R. Don't get me wrong, the FZ6R is a blast and you would definitely enjoy it for the 200-300 mile days, but since you already have a fully faired bike and a great one at that, I would think the Triumph would be a blast!

Just my 2 cents,
LB

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Given your FJR experience, I think you'll find the FZ1 is more suitable to the "fun and punch" you are looking for. It doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the FZ6R and has twice the HP... that's a lot of power to weight ratio. Plus, it can handle two up IF needed a lot better than the 6R. My wife has the 6R and it really is a fantastic bike but even now she is looking for more. I just think that after crusing on the FJR, you'll find the FZ6R leaves you wanting more. Used FZ1 bikes are quite inexpensive these days and with the Gen II now it its 6th year, after market parts are plentiful. Easy to mod and maintain. :D

WynPro

Thanks all for the info and suggestions. One of my concerns would be that it will feel underpowered considering I am use to 1300CC's of enjoyment. I will try and get a test ride on both the FZ6R and FZ1. Lord knows I push the limits on my feejer and going to an FZ1 well! lets just say I would like to stick around this earth a little longer. The FZ1 may be just to much of a hoolagin machine for me to attempt. I am sure I would love it but so would the local P.D. also. To much cold weather for now and snow so I have a couple of months to ponder my dilema.
My feejer is quite simple to maintain and I do all my own work. If someone can expound on the maintenance end of things that would help also.

Feejer: Oil change, very easy and accesable
Throttle body sinc, easy also once air induction system is removed.
Valve check: Well I must admit I haven't done this yet and I am overdue
change spark plugs: very easy to do

Thanks,

Dave