Little help Please

reiobard

I have a 4 wheeler that has an 85 Honda 350X motor in it and i am replacing the clutch. Does anyone have a way to tell me what the torque specs are on the cover when i am putting it back together.

Thanks

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets

reiobard

tore into the thing last night, 3 of the friction plates were melted together and the basket was destroyed... (the clutch has been slipping since i bought it, so not my fault) but now i have other questions.

How much tension do i put on the clutch springs?

What is the torque spec on the clutch basket (i replaced it with a new one).

Shouldn't their be a gasket on the clutch cover? There was none and no leaking... but that is where the oil goes?

and still what is the torques spec on the cover?

I will be signing up and asking on that other forum, but just seeing if anyone here has any ideas.

H

HavBlue

tore into the thing last night, 3 of the friction plates were melted together and the basket was destroyed... (the clutch has been slipping since i bought it, so not my fault) but now i have other questions.

How much tension do i put on the clutch springs?

What is the torque spec on the clutch basket (i replaced it with a new one).

Shouldn't their be a gasket on the clutch cover? There was none and no leaking... but that is where the oil goes?

and still what is the torques spec on the cover?

I will be signing up and asking on that other forum, but just seeing if anyone here has any ideas.
Rob, what is the year and model of this Honda quad?

As to the gasket, it may not require one. Years ago Toyota came out with the first automatic transmission (A40) that did not use a pump gasket and when we first saw this we couldn't figure out how it kept from leaking. Turns out it didn't need one. Are you staying with the factory clutch assembly or switching to the likes of Barnett?

Barnett Performance Products | Products | Clutch Plates & Springs

reiobard

Rob, what is the year and model of this Honda quad?

As to the gasket, it may not require one. Years ago Toyota came out with the first automatic transmission (A40) that did not use a pump gasket and when we first saw this we couldn't figure out how it kept from leaking. Turns out it didn't need one. Are you staying with the factory clutch assembly or switching to the likes of Barnett?

Barnett Performance Products | Products | Clutch Plates & Springs
the quad is a 94 Honda 300ex frame with an 85 or 86 Honda 350x motor. I am sticking with the factory replacement clutch parts. it is a toy quad that i am actually using while fixing up to sell and buy a nicer one, so no fancy parts for this little guy.

The confusing thing about the gasket is that the guy that i got it from had a box of parts which was another completely torn down 350x motor and the clutch cover on that one had the remnants of a paperboard type of gasket, but the one on the engine i am using has nothing, but like i said, no leaks... i am baffled by this

reiobard

ok, so i looked up the microfiche for the 350x and it is "Supposed" to have a gasket, so why wouldn't it leak without one? anyone have any kind of luck with those liquid, make your own gasket tube products? or should i just buy the correct one?

M

madmanmaigret

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but if it was a car i would get the correct one. cheap insurance.

reiobard

yeah, i guess your right, i was just confused that it had no signs of one and had not leaked. I'll head to the stealership tomorrow...

H

HavBlue

ok, so i looked up the microfiche for the 350x and it is "Supposed" to have a gasket, so why wouldn't it leak without one? anyone have any kind of luck with those liquid, make your own gasket tube products? or should i just buy the correct one?
Sure have, been using it for years and so has that Jeep you own. The front and rear diff covers both used it from the factory. They use it on the rocker cover too.

Just be sure the surfaces are clean before you apply it and note that a thin bead goes a long way. Be careful not to leave any breaks in the bead line....