Little Changes, Big Mileage

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bobski

My mileage sucks! Just did a 116 mile run, 80% county roads at average 50 mph, 20% through towns etc.. I only managed 32 mpg, while my buddy on a new F650GS (800cc engine!) got 47 mpg on the same ride with me. This is all calculated as mp(us)g for your comparison purposes. This just doesn't sound right to me. Gearing is stock sprockets, I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs and 60+ years so I sure don't ride it like I stole it. Any ideas, or is this just normal for some FZ6R's?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I noticed that at about 130MPH it is not very fuel efficient. IDK why? lmfao
Your just forgetting to open your face shield and stick your tongue out, helps cut down drag at 130mph. JK
I get consistent 51mpg, 48 low, 54 high, mixed riding. I don't ride like a grandpa either, if you know what I mean.

daddyrack

Premium Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

aaronhaji

Its not needed.

86 octane. Higher octane only needed if pinging occurs.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2009/LIT-11626-22-77_FZ6R_1661.pdf

But... You are using non-ethanol right now and going to ethanol will hurt your mpg a little. At least thats how the non-ethanol stations are here. Only premium is non-ethanol.
i noticed that when i used 87 it ran like horse s@#$ slow and slugish whent back to premium big diffece i like shell they add nitogen so they say dose anyone know if that is trully going to make a diffrence

06330i

I'm 6'2" 260, run 93 octane with ethanol, and average 50 mpg on the freeway. As long as you keep it under 7,000 rpm you typically should be fine. I got 104 miles the other day and only used a half tank.

cdsdave

57 was my best mpg, but mostly in the 52-54 range. I ride all country roads with no stop and go traffic.

bobski

I'm going to fill up, reset my trip odometer to zero, and test another tank full. Bike runs like a clock so unless it's something dumb like miscalculating l/usg or klm/mi (but I did those things with a conversion calculator) etc. it's very odd for sure. Thanks for all your input, you guys and this forum are the BEST! I'll let you know the results of my re-test, I obviously want/need to get to the bottom of this mystery!

jjb

Chevyfazer

i noticed that when i used 87 it ran like horse s@#$ slow and slugish whent back to premium big diffece i like shell they add nitogen so they say dose anyone know if that is trully going to make a diffrence

As the temperatures go up in summer its fairly common for higher compression engines to start to predetonate (ping) and in that case running higher octane will help cure that. That could be what's going on with your bike, of if you have exhaust and intake mods with out it tuned. As far as nitrogen goes, yes it is great at cleaning carbon and other things of the sort.

Last edited:

bobski

I'm going to fill up, reset my trip odometer to zero, and test another tank full. Bike runs like a clock so unless it's something dumb like miscalculating l/usg or klm/mi (but I did those things with a conversion calculator) etc. it's very odd for sure. Thanks for all your input, you guys and this forum are the BEST! I'll let you know the results of my re-test, I obviously want/need to get to the bottom of this mystery!
And the Darwin Award goes to . . . ME lol. New test results: 53 mp(us)g; 65 mp(c)g. 77 miles on 5.43 litres . . and those are Canadian miles haha. Don't ask because I have no idea what I did. I thought I had filled up at the same time as my buddy, but I remember noting that my fuel guage showed the full set of bars and I think I decided not to bother fueling up . . and we all know that we can get at least 100klm without loosing a bar . . so I believe I simply used incorrect (way too low) mileage for the calculation. Duh !