Lets Talk Gearing

cbzdel

I want to get a +1 front sprocket to lower my cruising R's since I am a commuter.

I believe we have a 530 chain but could be wrong, I have yet to look in the owners/service manuals to find out for sure though.

They make a 520 front sprocket which I know would fit with the 530 chain but I would rather have my sprocket match my chain.

Does anyone know if I can just order like a R6 or FZ6 front sprocket (17 tooth) and have it fit directly to our bike? I dont see a reason why Yamaha wouldnt use the same sprockets for most of their bikes to cut dont production costs..

Also if you go here:
Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gearing Ratio Sprocket RPM Speed Chain Calculator

We have the exact same specs as the FZ6 that is listed, you just need to change the MAX RPM and rear tire size, and it will give you an idea of what gearing would do for you...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I believe we have a 520 chain. At least that is what my chain says. I noticed it the first time I cleaned and lubed the chain. Take a look at your chain and you will see that some of the links say 520 on them.

cbzdel

really, wow.. I always thought 520 what more of a "race" chain.. I will go check it out later and see what I got..

If it is 520, I will just order the 520 gear then haha!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Service manual state:

520VP2/DAIDO CHAIN 108 links. So I would take that to be 520

cbzdel

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
people are using my own book to outsmart me hahah!!
Thought you'd like that! :D

Let us know how first gear feels while taking off. This should also allow you to stay in each gear longer so you wont be mashing the shifter so fast getting up to cruising speed. It was great when I did it on my Rebel.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
really, wow.. I always thought 520 what more of a "race" chain.. I will go check it out later and see what I got..

If it is 520, I will just order the 520 gear then haha!!
Yeah, I don't know if you have seen the FZ6 next to the FZ6R, but if you get the chance look at the chains on each bike. Our chain is much smaller than the chain on the FZ6. The smaller chain is easier to turn, and thus the FZ6R was probably given the 520 chain to make it easier to turn since we have reduced horsepower.

Bigevildoer

people are using my own book to outsmart me hahah!!

Thanks for the info! I am ordering the sprocket from SoloMotoParts now...
You going to do the install yourself or have a shop do it?
Something that persnickity I'd let a reputable shop install... Last thing I'd want is that chain flying free at 5000 rpm... something that would undoubtably happen to one of my luck. :eek:

Later!

JSP

Super Moderator
You going to do the install yourself or have a shop do it?
Something that persnickity I'd let a reputable shop install... Last thing I'd want is that chain flying free at 5000 rpm... something that would undoubtably happen to one of my luck. :eek:

Later!
A sprocket change, especially the front one is extremely simple. Loosen the rear axle and the adjusting bolts and move the tire all the way forward. Take the two bolts out of the front sprocket and slide it off. Put the new one on, adjust the chain slack and tighten the rear all up and you are good to go. Very easy.

catchy name

how did this work out? I really would like to know what the rpm drop was at 60mph.. i know now im at 6k @ 60 stock which i feel is way to high for extended rides.. how is it over all?