Lesson Learned

oyamyers

So last Thursday I commuted to work like I do every day. I brought some flight training manuals to ship to my son who is serving in Afghanistan. Thinking they would be fine, I left them in my side bags along with both my cold and warm weather riding gloves. Head out to the bike at lunch to ride to the PO to ship the books…sure enough, gone, along with both sets of gloves. along with the books was the shipping documents. I sure hope the A$$ who stole them felt something when he realized he just stole from a US soldier. good thing is they are replaceable and were only worth about $40 bucks. Already replaced the gloves, so in total I'm out $120. Just had to vent, but like I said, lesson learned.

CrazyCawi

Wow, wtf...some people are POS...what ordinary person would find use out of someone else's books. Probably saw they had something to do with flight and thought they were worth some ching. Eff that...keep an eye on Craigs list and ebay for the publications. Id never steal...let alone from another biker. Sorry this happened to you.

Jay S.

That sucks man. It's sad that in America...nevermind. I'll just rant. I hate running errands on the bike for that very reason. I feel like I have to take everything with me every time my butt leaves the saddle.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Told you humans suck.

Sorry for the violation bro. You have a great attitude given the circumstance.
Brue what superhuman race are you? I ask but I never get a response youleave the thread....:confused::rolleyes:

Is this you?

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I guess most of the places we ride and stop are fairly safe, but I still take the helmet, gloves and tank bag in when we eat.... couple leaves theirs hanging on bike. keep saying one day someone is gonna have to ride back without gear :(

hey is that alien male or female? can't tell

klawson

So sorry about your loss. Hope the person gets his "in the end".
I must commend your son's dad for taking the time and effort to think
and care about him and try and send those items to him.
Keep the blue side up and have a great day.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

oyamyers

Sorry to hear about the loss. Losing the flight training books does suck, the good ones are usually pretty nice.

That is the one thing I hate about my soft bags, kinda risky about having something or them taken. I guess getting stuck in rain and not having the covers on can stink too. Hard bags are moving up to the top of my list quickly due to these things.

Havent found any helmet locks that appeal to me. Just stopped and Gander Mtn today and got a $6 cable handgun lock. Figure When I go in I can put that around my chin bar or D ring and then to the frame or something to lock it up now; keeping the key with my bike key. Just gotta find something that can effectively lock my soft bags to my bike and lock the main pocket closed.

Son in the AF or what branch? If AF should see if there are any Boeing people working with him! Maybe he could get the Jeppesen kit cheaper? (being Jeppesen is part of Boeing!) Prayers go out for his safety also for you and your family!!

Thanks. He is Army Infantry and thinking about helicopter flight school. We are sending him new books later this week.

FlyZ6R

Sorry to hear about that! I hope that idiot gets what's coming to him!

That is the reason I've been lugging my gear everywhere I go. I am paranoid about leaving anything with my bike. It's a pain in the butt lugging all that stuff around, but beats riding home "naked".

My thanks to your son for his service and I wish him the best in his aviation pursuit. Flying for the military is a pretty cool job! :cool:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

yfz6r

Man that really sucks. Every time I go somewhere on the bike, I leave my helmet hanging from the handlebar and my backpack on the seat. 95% of the time there is an ipad in the backpack but I haven't had any problems. The ipad can be tracked at any time though.

Sparkxx1

Man that really sucks. Every time I go somewhere on the bike, I leave my helmet hanging from the handlebar and my backpack on the seat. 95% of the time there is an ipad in the backpack but I haven't had any problems. The ipad can be tracked at any time though.
Wow I'm too paranoid >_> Im uncomfortable enough leaving my helmet on with a lock on it. That's why I didn't even bother buying soft saddlebags. I wouldn't be able to leave it anywhere and I'd just be worried the whole time. Givi luggage will be ordered this week, I'm just waiting for amazon to pay meee.

rr_double_rr

Same here, I just use my rmy backpack to carry everything I need, toss the gloves in, and carry the helmet with me. I get a ton of strange looks, people thinking that I'm just trying to show off that I ride I'm sure, but I'd rather deal with that than lose the helmet that helped me meet the woman of my dreams.

DragonBlu

I got in the habit of yelling when I leave my bike,"Anybody touches my shit and I'll come back and kill every last one of you." It has worked so far.
Thanks to your son for his service!

Reactions: JSP

FlyZ6R

I got in the habit of yelling when I leave my bike,"Anybody touches my shit and I'll come back and kill every last one of you." It has worked so far.
Thanks to your son for his service!
Haha! That's funny. My buddy just bought a Buell and it's got a sticker on the instrument cluster that says "If you value your a** as much as I value this motorcycle, DON'T F*** WITH IT!" I thought that was pretty awesome too. :cool:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member