Led Windscreen Bolts

BoneJj

how so? a 1/4" bolt is a 1/4" bolt. 4mm is 4mm 5is 5 and so on
no... no, just because a 4mm allen key fits the head of the bolt doesn't mean that it's going to have 4mm threads or whatever.

Lets talk about a simple wood screw. I can go to home depot and get a 3 inch wood screw with a head that will be one of the following: philips, flat head, torque driver, and so on. There are dozens of options. I can also get the same driving option for a 2 inch wood screw or #6 bolt or #5, #7 and so on...

Also the thread pitch will be different on each type of bolt along with thickness of the bolt and there are just a ton of variables that can be interchanged. Now typically the driver for said bolt or screw will correspond to a general size but that size will have a large range as will the # of threads and also it's rating for strength. All important things to consider when selecting bolts for any part of a bike.

Ravinx

im not talking about pitch or length. I understand the difference being that I was in construction for a long time. A screw is different from a bolt. Minus thread and length. the head is correspondent to width of bolt. a 4mm head will be a 4 mm cir bolt. if you have a 1/4" head. thats the socket you use. the circumference of the shaft is 1/4". a 2mm allen key head will be a 2mm cir shaft. hence what I said 4mm bolts on top and 5mm main stay bolt. take a string, wrap it around the shaft until you meet with your starting point the measure it. course thread vs fine thread, you just have to look it. measure the length if the shaft to get your length. the 4mm on the top fairing are 1" long I think and its fine thread. so your bolt would be 4mm x 1" fine thread
the main stay would be 5mm x 1 1/4" with fine thread.
4 mm are round head and the 5mm i dont know what the head it but mine it slightly pointed.

BoneJj

im not talking about pitch or length. I understand the difference being that I was in construction for a long time. A screw is different from a bolt. Minus thread and length. the head is correspondent to width of bolt. a 4mm head will be a 4 mm cir bolt. if you have a 1/4" head. thats the socket you use. the circumference of the shaft is 1/4". a 2mm allen key head will be a 2mm cir shaft. hence what I said 4mm bolts on top and 5mm main stay bolt. take a string, wrap it around the shaft until you meet with your starting point the measure it. course thread vs fine thread, you just have to look it. measure the length if the shaft to get your length. the 4mm on the top fairing are 1" long I think and its fine thread. so your bolt would be 4mm x 1" fine thread
the main stay would be 5mm x 1 1/4" with fine thread.
4 mm are round head and the 5mm i dont know what the head it but mine it slightly pointed.
That's not always true with automotives and the problem is that the thread pitch and length all have major factors here as well. I regularly have to break out the calipers when I'm working on different bikes to make sure that I'm getting the right bolt to replace another one that is worn down, rounded off, or just broken. That's a headache on so many levels, broken bolts, it takes forever to get them out, without screwing things up.

I've found that while you may have a 4mm allen key or whatever that the bolt shaft is not always the same. Many times they will try to keep the bolt head uniform on the bike so that there are less tools in the kit that comes with the bike and where they can they will just use the same head for many different types of bolts so that it just makes tear down easier while the actual bolt shaft will differ through out the bike for the same allen key.

latony007

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

The post I linked has pictures in it of them installed.
your right, i am blind lol. And to make it worse i have seen those already so i am blind AND have no memory. Think they would look better on the fairings :)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member