Led headlight

latony007

Anyone do an LED headlamp retro yet like the new Ducatis' have?
Havent heard of that, but Rabbitman does all the HID retrofits he would probably know.

Ravinx

Havent heard of that, but Rabbitman does all the HID retrofits he would probably know.
I saw a guy here in town with an led projector kit on his aprilia. I wonder If I can swap that in. It looks a lot like the hid lenses that Rabbit is using now....HRMMMM must do more research.

BoneJj

It is a lot cheaper just to do an HID system which will get you the amount of light you want and then some.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

rhnatyk

What's the issue of heat management? I always thought that one of the selling points of LED's was that they didn't give off heat.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

BoneJj

LED headlight bulbs get very hot, and can actually ruin themselves by burning out because they get hot. You're thinking of small LED accents, which do not get very hot. In order to get the amount of lumens high enough, the LED headlight bulbs pull a lot more power, and in turn get really hot. Here is the heat sinks that are on the new Ducati headlight:

http://ebrforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113&d=1381940895&thumb=1

In order to protect the bulbs, the heat must be properly managed.[/quote]

Exactly, some LED setups require basically a CPU heatsink in order to cool them fast enough. There have been some serious advances in LED tech lately but putting them into play and into general use hasn't quite happened just yet.

Granted the new advances aren't going to mean a whole lot in terms of less heat but better light to heat ratios are supposed to be happening. It will certainly be rather interesting to see what happens over the next 2 years in terms of LED lights and if any companies adopt it fast enough into their lines.

New tech is awesome but seeing it adopted in a timely manner is a whole different world.