Led brake light fender accent

Ricenoodle

so while watching the video below i wanted to tackle installing the red led brake light mod as seen @ 36:08. A few questions i have is how legal is it? I'm not doing the whole kit since i don't show my bike, just looking for increased visibility and something different than everyone else. I have the fender eliminator with the motodynamics integrated tail light currently so i think having the wheel well glow red with the brakes would be sweet. I'm thinking of tapping into the brake and negative wire of the tail light to do this. Thoughts or suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9xnE_Kptw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reactions: JT

EsrTek

so while watching the video below i wanted to tackle installing the red led brake light mod as seen @ 36:08. A few questions i have is how legal is it? I'm not doing the whole kit since i don't show my bike, just looking for increased visibility and something different than everyone else. I have the fender eliminator with the motodynamics integrated tail light currently so i think having the wheel well glow red with the brakes would be sweet. I'm thinking of tapping into the brake and negative wire of the tail light to do this. Thoughts or suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9xnE_Kptw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Perfectly legal mod and your thoughts on how to get it done are spot on.
Shouldn't even take 30 mins to install, show us pics when done!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

EsrTek

Should find the wire under the seat. Follow up from the rear brake MC. Then you are in the general area for the tail light negative wire. Use a wire tester and you can find the positive connection that is active when depressing the brake pedal.
I know the wire your talking about is shown in the DIY for adding Gear Indicator.
I can't see the wire w/o taking fairings off, sorry..went outside to look....

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

EsrTek

Here is what I used to find the wire we are talking about....
******Installation Update******

When connecting the power wire, the instruction said connect to a switched power source like the rear brake like switch (2 pole brown or black connector, Brown wire)

The instructions is wrong on which wire and the color of the connector.

The connector on my bike is white or natural (only two prong there is). If you follow the rear brake wires you will find it.

The instruction says use the brown wire. The brown wire is what activates the rear brake light and it is not powered until you hit the brakes. Use the yellow wire next to it, that is the hot power wire.

Hope this helps.

Ricenoodle

so in this case i would want the brown wire for positive since i only want the leds to come on when the brakes are squeezed? of course black to ground. Not understanding why the yellow is bold above since i don't want it on all the time.

EsrTek

Sorry was thinking of the part I used when highlighted....:wtfgun:

Actually now that I'm thinking.. I'm not sure that will work. I believe that will make it will only come on when REAR brakes applied.
I personally would probably tap into the wires going to the brake light itself.

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Ricenoodle

Did some research and found the info, I'll post it here to save someone else the trouble.

Black=Ground, Red=Park, White=Brake, Yellow=Right Signal, Blue=Left Signal.