Leather jacket: Perforated or no?

Cerebus

To those with leather jackets, did you go with perforated or not? And if you had it to do over, would you do the same? I want to get a good leather jacket, but I'm on the fence with the perforation thing. Perforated would seem to limit early/late season use. Without would clearly limit summertime use. Thoughts?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

abyss1406

I have a half mesh half leather jacket that im thoroughly impressed with. not too hot, not too cold with the liner either. but if i were to do it all over, id get a perforated leather.

WeatherB

I've got a non-perf leather jacket that I use for 3 seasons, it's okay for summer time riding since it has zippered vent pockets. I chose the non-perf just in case I get caught in rain, with the perf the water will go right through!

gado

I wear a perforated leather jacket year round. In the cooler temps I add a layer underneath. In the warmer temps I wear a cotton T-shirt. In the rain, I use a different jacket.

bmw675

Perforated all year round. 100 degrees down to 40 degrees. You can always throw the liner under it, or any type of wind breaker to cut down the chill in the cool temps.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Cerebus

I vote both!!!!

and textile mesh also convenient
lol, I should have expected this.

I have a Phoenix mesh jacket now (my first and only). I'll keep that for the really hot days, like today.

I'm looking at the Dainese Alien, so no liner.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Cerebus

was not trying to be a duche, just saying that you can never have enough gear.
No, I didn't take it that way. I'm on enough hobby forums (guns, jeeps, cars, etc) to see the "get both" all the time. :D

But two Dainese jackets are not an option, until I win the lottery. :)

Reactions: JT

DragonBlu

I have the Dainese Zen perf. With removable liner I ride between 40 and 100 degrees. With T-shirt under in the heat and sweatshirt in the cold. Love it!

RoadTrip

Make sure you go one size up if you plan on layering under a perf jacket in the winter,the upsize shouldn't seem big, but just not skin tight.

General rule:

170lbs=52
180lbs=54
190lbs=54-56

So, if you are 170 and 6ft tall, then a 54 is a good choice so you have room for winter under layers. Get a 52 if you want a skin tight Summer only jacket.

mtheartist

To those with leather jackets, did you go with perforated or not? And if you had it to do over, would you do the same? I want to get a good leather jacket, but I'm on the fence with the perforation thing. Perforated would seem to limit early/late season use. Without would clearly limit summertime use. Thoughts?
Do yourself the favor and get perforated. I currently own two Alpinestars and both are perforated. I also own a mesh jacket for the hot days and I have a waterproof jacket for the rain. If you plan to ride in the rain then you probably shouldn't buy a leather jacket. A leather jacket will not only protect your skin but will probably be usable after a crash. Where a mesh might only protect you once. Like others have mentioned, just layer up in the cold months w/a perforated leather and you should be fine. Make sure you invest in spine and thoracic protection though... Dainese is on the pricy side but if you have the cash why not?! I would've gone that route but I felt I could get more value from A-stars for less cash and that's including the extra protection. If you haven't already, check out Revzilla. They have the best service and they pay your sales tax and ship amazingly fast! And no I don't work for them, I've been shopping with them for about a year and they've been good to me.

BoneJj

I have a half mesh half leather jacket that im thoroughly impressed with. not too hot, not too cold with the liner either. but if i were to do it all over, id get a perforated leather.
What is the brand and name of the jacket that you have? This sounds interesting to me.