Laid it down today.

freemanjc

Friends,

I just laid down my 2009 FZ6R and scratch the right side fairing pretty bad. I have been looking online for a replacment but just not sure where to go. If there is anyone here that can direct to a reputable website where I can get a repalcment for the right side, Please let me know.

Should Ibe search for farings or cowlings. This is my first bike so please excuse my ignorance.

r,

Julius

FitZ6R

Friends,

I just laid down my 2009 FZ6R and scratch the right side fairing pretty bad. I have been looking online for a replacment but just not sure where to go. If there is anyone here that can direct to a reputable website where I can get a repalcment for the right side, Please let me know.

Should Ibe search for farings or cowlings. This is my first bike so please excuse my ignorance.

r,

Julius
Bummer! But welcome to the forum in any case.

A search for "Yamaha OEM parts" will turn up lots of vendors. The major side plastic pieces are listed under Cowling 2 on the standard parts breakdown.

When you see the prices, you might decide that a cosmetic repair is the best way to go.

freemanjc

Bummer! But welcome to the forum in any case.

A search for "Yamaha OEM parts" will turn up lots of vendors. The major side plastic pieces are listed under Cowling 2 on the standard parts breakdown.

When you see the prices, you might decide that a cosmetic repair is the best way to go.

Thanks for the reply. Thank you very much. How do I knoe which model. i see the fz6r have different numbers on the end?

V/R

Julius

FitZ6R

Thanks for the reply. Thank you very much. How do I knoe which model. i see the fz6r have different numbers on the end?
The letters at the end are for the year (Y = 2009), C for California models, and color (Black, bLue, White, Yellow)... pretty sure I got all that right.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

freemanjc

where at in VA? and welcome to the forum.

you'll find the price to paint about the same as a new fairing.... maybe a $80 difference... how fast were you going? Is it just the fairing, or other parts as well? Pics are worth a thousand words!

cheapcycleparts isn't a bad place to start... if you are near a dealer check them out....
I in Prince George, VA, around the FT Lee Military Installation. I was in richmonf coming off broad street to enter 95 and turn straight onto raod sand doing around 15MPH and locked up my brakes as I was sliding. It all happened so fast to tell you the truth.

The right fairing is scratched a bit and I really want to replace it. Not sure if there are many shops that do body work in this area. I was lucky, two sore wrist and pride are the only things hurting right now. However, searching for the fairing is more complicated than I thought. Any straight forward link would be appreciated!

R,

Free

freemanjc

where at in VA? and welcome to the forum.

you'll find the price to paint about the same as a new fairing.... maybe a $80 difference... how fast were you going? Is it just the fairing, or other parts as well? Pics are worth a thousand words!

cheapcycleparts isn't a bad place to start... if you are near a dealer check them out....
How do you insert pictures here?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

freemanjc

Stadium Yamaha has your panel assembly (36P-Y283U-10-P1) listed for $252.92 and your oil pump cover (36P-15416-00-00) for $38.21. Thats a good place to start. Shop that pricing around the net for a bit before buying.

Dart's idea about getting it painted might be the cheaper route to take. I'm sure theres a shop somewhere around there or just a dude in his garage that does it on the side. If you were so inclined you could do some light DIY reading and find you could do it yourself for the cost of paint and sand paper.

Oh...and don't trust those part numbers I gave. I'm inherently stupid sometimes and cannot be trusted. :iconbeer: :D Always double check the numbers yourself...make sure I didn't screw up.

And get yourself some frame sliders damn it. :D

Glad your ok BTW.
Thamls Brayn, I owe you!!!!!!!!!

freemanjc

In relations to the oil pump cover, is it ok just to unscrew it and reaplce the the cover with a new one or should I take it to the shop and have them put it on?

adam_fozz

Unlucky Mate...

Hi there,

Regarding the parts you need, maybe you should try Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse for the fairing. I used them to the UK, they take a while to despatch but they seemed to be the best price. There website has part brakedown images like blueprints so that you can determine the correct part more accurately.

Regarding getting back on your bike. I downed my MT03 on the 26th of March and I was desperate to get my new bike to make sure "the fear" didn't get me and stop me getting another. I have had my new XJ6 for a few weeks now and im still pretty nervous when cornering but I think its only natural. Your minds telling you to learn from your mistake I guess. Couple of months down the line and youll be happy riding again. Getting it fixed will help because part of your bad feeling is prob coming from scratching your pride and joy.

Good Luck Mate.

Adam

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

redprodigy35

How long before the shock and hurt pride is gone.
I had a family member drop my bike last week. 140 miles @ the time.
I totally feel where your coming from with the pride being hurt.
All I could do for 24 hours was replay the drop in my head, over, and over, and over again.
Then 48 hours went by and I was ok-- as in not replaying the same 4 second clip in my head, and asking myself "what if?" questions.

My damage was on the same fairing.
The cost to repair and replace was about $80-100 difference.
I'm not loaded with $$$ by any means...
I went with a new right fairing by going to my local Yamaha dealer and running through some prices with them online. They pretty much matched.

FitZ6R

You can DIY. Just make sure you get a new gasket (20S-15456-00-00). It lists for $4.46 at Stadium Yamaha. And use loctite (blue) on the bolts (very important) to resecure the cover tighening in a crisscross pattern. Torque for cover bolts is 7.2 ft-lb.
Need to drain the oil first?

Kleinfalls

Right fairings for me too. Decals alone were 100 bucks. I ended up taking all decals off and having body shop fill scratches and repaint. They used high quoth ppg paint andgave me small bottle of touch up.