Key sticking?

Roadking013

this may be the wrong forum to ask but does anyone else have a problem with their key sticking? mine feels like i have to force it into the ignition then when I go to take it out, I almost have to like rip it out of there?

what do?

latony007

No, try some wd40 maybe? Does everyone keep their key solo so a keychain doesn't flop around or scratch the metal?

Roadking013

should I do that? I've got mine on a key ring with my apt key, mail key, and bike lock key

do I spray the key with WD40 or the ignition?

latony007

should I do that? I've got mine on a key ring with my apt key, mail key, and bike lock key

do I spray the key with WD40 or the ignition?
id start with the key see if it does anything. If it does but not enough then shoot a little amount in the hole.

Your keys flop around? im trying to find a solution for this. My brother has a can am and they have this piece of plastic that hooks to your key ring and then you just slide your key in and out of that. Unfortunately our key wont fit it.

ajones70

I keep mine on a ring on ots own so as to not scratch the tank or area where key is :)

ylwf3vr

Mine does it but only from steering lock to off position. Rest of the positions works fine.. I just don't lock it in friendly places lol. But I've also heard little bit of motor oil works too.. Not sure.

I have just the key and my small paratrooper st Michael medallion.

WeatherB

I need to occasionally lubricate my ignition or I'll have this problem too. I use some silicon grease and just stick the hose from the spray bottle into the ignition and give a quick squirt. Work it around by putting the key in and out.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

Single key now,I noticed it started to scratch the black paint,my key does the same thing...
Exactly, even if you just have a small ring attached to your key it bounces around on the black paint. I have a solution for this and will post some pictures of it when I get home.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Botty12

Mine's just got a devil of a time getting into the lock position, but not all the time. Apparently it likes playing hard to get.

ej'sfz

graphite is your best bet, like he said the lubes attract dirt and what not, plus the graphite powder take up all the small divots and scratches that might make it not match up perfectly

latony007

Single key now,I noticed it started to scratch the black paint,my key does the same thing...
i would def. lube it. If you have something dry like graphite great if not id use minimal wd40 i wouldnt be too worried about dirt up there. better than breaking your key off in it lol

OK so here is my key deal. If i keep just the single key i threaten to lose it every time. I have already spent way too much time looking for it. If i put on a ring it scratches as mentioned above. I tried using a deatchable keychain but the piece and ring did the same thing. So i took the detachable part of the keyring and removed its ring and krazy glued it to the key. Now you can attach and unatch it to your key ring at will, actually works good and cost like 4$. I have two bikes on the same ring. I tested the glue, thats not a problem, on my other bike the key (which is on the other end of the ring) actually goes in the side right about where you put the key in the fz to open the back seat. Anyway this dangled on that key ring bouncing all over for 60 miles and no problem, and no more scratches on the FZ6R.

Attachments

ylwf3vr

i would def. lube it. If you have something dry like graphite great if not id use minimal wd40 i wouldnt be too worried about dirt up there. better than breaking your key off in it lol

OK so here is my key deal. If i keep just the single key i threaten to lose it every time. I have already spent way too much time looking for it. If i put on a ring it scratches as mentioned above. I tried using a deatchable keychain but the piece and ring did the same thing. So i took the detachable part of the keyring and removed its ring and krazy glued it to the key. Now you can attach and unatch it to your key ring at will, actually works good and cost like 4$. I have two bikes on the same ring. I tested the glue, thats not a problem, on my other bike the key (which is on the other end of the ring) actually goes in the side right about where you put the key in the fz to open the back seat. Anyway this dangled on that key ring bouncing all over for 60 miles and no problem, and no more scratches on the FZ6R.
Very interesting.. Never seen anyone do this!

linkgt

My gas tank freaking gets stuck from time to time and occasionally have to lube it. One time I was at a gas station for 5 minutes straight trying to open the damn thing :(

latony007

Very interesting.. Never seen anyone do this!
I got the idea from that Can Am Keychain and just kept trying to come up with something similar. This is actually even better. Now i can keep both the Suzuki and Yamaha keys together and not worry about losing or scratching. I bought three keychains off ebay for $4

My gas tank freaking gets stuck from time to time and occasionally have to lube it. One time I was at a gas station for 5 minutes straight trying to open the damn thing :(
Now that you mention it this is kind of a pain, i assumed it was because of that flap not getting 100% out of the way but ill try lubing it.